[comp.os.minix] Confusion with 1.3 to 1.5 upgrade

rnews@qut.edu.au (10/22/90)

Surprise! Surprise! Another problem with building the library as part of
upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5.
Are the lists of object files in Glen Overby's Upgrade Tutorial (Glen.O.tute)
Appendix C and D difinitive ? I ask this because my libc.a file does not
contain an object called 'perf.s'; but it does have one called 'error.s'.

There is a source file 'perf.c' that came with the string.00.Z upgrade
source file, but it doesn't seem to have a suitable format for a library
function.

If anyone could enlighten me on this, I would really appreciate it.

rnews@qut.edu.au (Glen Overby) (10/23/90)

In article <19058.2722ac99@qut.edu.au> you write:
>Are the lists of object files in Glen Overby's Upgrade Tutorial (Glen.O.tute)
>Appendix C and D difinitive ? I ask this because my libc.a file does not
>contain an object called 'perf.s'; but it does have one called 'error.s'.

it was at the time of writing, but probably isn't anymore.  I don't really
know.  It's another one of those things I *should* update, but haven't.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (10/24/90)

In article <9010230259.AA13591@plains.NoDak.edu> rnews@qut.edu.au (Glen Overby) writes:
[a PERSONAL note to someone who asked a question]

I'd like to know how this got posted to the newsgroup.  I sent it as a
*personal* reply to someone's question, and now I find it distributed
worldwide.  Not that I said anything I regret, but I think it would only be
decent to ask me first.

If I had wanted it posted to 25,000 (est.) people, I'd have done it myself.
I also think it's a fair waste of net.bandwidth (and so is this flame).

BTW, my address is most certainly not rnews@qut.edu.au!  Wrong continent.
--

rnews@qut.edu.au (10/31/90)

In article <19058.2722ac99@qut.edu.au> you write:
>Surprise! Surprise! Another problem with building the library as part of
>upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5.
>Are the lists of object files in Glen Overby's Upgrade Tutorial (Glen.O.tute)
>Appendix C and D difinitive ? I ask this because my libc.a file does not
>contain an object called 'perf.s'; but it does have one called 'error.s'.
>
>There is a source file 'perf.c' that came with the string.00.Z upgrade
>source file, but it doesn't seem to have a suitable format for a library
>function.
>
>If anyone could enlighten me on this, I would really appreciate it.

I'll try.  :-)

The official 1.5.10 crc list has the file "perf.c" in lib/string.  Since it's
in lib, I presume that it goes in libc.a.  (My sources and my libc.a are at
home, so I can't tell you if perf.s is actually in my library.)  I find
no file called either "error.c" or "error.s" in the 1.5.10 crc list.

The most important question is: "What happens when you link stuff with
your library the way it is?"  If things link without unresolved externals,
then you've got what you absolutely need and can worry about this detail
later.

Hope this helps!

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

nfs@cs.Princeton.EDU (Norbert Schlenker) (11/01/90)

In article <9010301816.AA03569@stehekin.boeing.com> rnews@qut.edu.au writes:
>In article <19058.2722ac99@qut.edu.au> you write:
>>Are the lists of object files in Glen Overby's Upgrade Tutorial (Glen.O.tute)
>>Appendix C and D difinitive ? I ask this because my libc.a file does not
>>contain an object called 'perf.s'; but it does have one called 'error.s'.
>I'll try.  :-)
>
>The official 1.5.10 crc list has the file "perf.c" in lib/string.  Since it's
>in lib, I presume that it goes in libc.a.  (My sources and my libc.a are at
>home, so I can't tell you if perf.s is actually in my library.)  I find
>no file called either "error.c" or "error.s" in the 1.5.10 crc list.

As the author of the string routines and of lib/string/perf.c, let me
assure you that perf.s does not belong in the library.  Perf.c is a
C program that measures the improvement in the string function calls
when the assembly language routines are used in place of the C routines.
The object code does not belong in libc.a.

Norbert