[comp.os.minix] History of Minix

rnews@qut.edu.au (10/19/90)

Can somebody please either confirm or correct this description of the
major releases of Minix.  We are writing a report on Minix and have
not found any definitive documentation of releases so far.

The major revisions in the history of Minix have been

1987 Minix 1.0 -              Released with Tanenbaum's book
1988 Minix 1.1 -              Hard disk support
1989 Minix 1.3 -              Sufficient utilities to be self
                              supporting (ie. no longer dependant
                              on the native OS)
1990 Minix 1.5 -              Support for protected mode on
                              80286/80386 machines and a
                              considerably extended set of
                              standard utilities.

Thanks...

inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/23/90)

In article <18895.271ef866@qut.edu.au> rnews@qut.edu.au writes:
>1987 Minix 1.0 -              Released with Tanenbaum's book
>1988 Minix 1.1 -              Hard disk support
>1989 Minix 1.3 -              Sufficient utilities to be self
>                              supporting (ie. no longer dependant
>                              on the native OS)
>1990 Minix 1.5 -              Support for protected mode on
>                              80286/80386 machines and a
>                              considerably extended set of
>                              standard utilities.

Well, not quite.  Hard disk support was in there from 1.0.  No version of
MINIX sold by PH lacked it.
V1.0 was also self-supporting.  No other OS was needed from day 0.
The evolution from 1.0 to 1.3 was gradual. 1.4 was Bruce's protected
mode version.  This code became official, somewhat against my will, by
a vote of 16,000 to 1, in 1.5.  The "current version" is 1.6.6, but nobody
has that yet.  I may post its successor to the beta group moderately soon.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rnews@qut.edu.au (Bruce.Evans) (10/24/90)

>1987 Minix 1.0 -              Released with Tanenbaum's book
Might have been Xmas 1986

>1988 Minix 1.1 -              Hard disk support
Some hard disks worked in 1987. I think 1.2 was posted about Aug 1987.

>1989 Minix 1.3 -              Sufficient utilities to be self
Most files are stamped Nov 2 1988

archer%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com (Vincent Archer) (11/01/90)

(Hi! I'm back from a month holidays. After digesting 500 messages, I note:)
Andy Tanenbaum <ast@cs.vu.nl> says:

>Well, not quite.  Hard disk support was in there from 1.0.  No version of
>MINIX sold by PH lacked it.

Except the Amiga version ;->

>The evolution from 1.0 to 1.3 was gradual. 1.4 was Bruce's protected
>mode version.  This code became official, somewhat against my will, by
>a vote of 16,000 to 1, in 1.5.

Guess who voted against :-)

>a vote of 16,000 to 1, in 1.5.  The "current version" is 1.6.6, but nobody
>has that yet.  I may post its successor to the beta group moderately soon.

And 1.7 to the net maybe 3 seconds after :-)

_________
 |\___/|	Vincent Archer
 | \ / |	Email: archer%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com
 | /|\ |