[comp.os.minix] GCC, /etc/gettydefs, UUCP

deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steven Furber) (10/26/90)

I have gcc-1.37.1.tar.Z from wuarchive.wustl.edu and have imported it to
my MacMINIX file system.  I started trying to compile it but have had very
little like; I'm fairly unfamilliar with MINIX and have never worked much
with GNU packages.

There have been several succesfful installations of GCC under MINIX and I
was hoping to get some feedback on what people had to do in order to get it
to work.

Another thing I've been trying to get working is getting /dev/tty2 to work
with my modem (USRobotics HST).  It doesn't, and I haven't found much more
than a quick mention of getty, modem, ttys, and gettydef.  The last file is
mentioned but there is no example.

If someone can give me a few hints or tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.

UUCP is (yet) another thing I'm looking at getting set up.  I remember reading
a few months back that someone has UUCP, news and mail handling programs
running under MINIX.  If someone could let me know where to get more info I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks.

tgcpwd@rwc.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (10/26/90)

In article <445@pdxgate.UUCP> deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steven Furber) writes:
>UUCP is (yet) another thing I'm looking at getting set up.  I remember reading
>a few months back that someone has UUCP, news and mail handling programs
>running under MINIX.  If someone could let me know where to get more info I'd
>greatly appreciate it.

The first real port of Uucp for Minix was done by Peter Housel. The
improvement of that was done by himself and Fred van Kempen. Fred has
written (with many people co-working like my-self) a mail programme
W-Mail for local mail, U-Mail for remote mail (works with Uucp of course),
and we are now working on news, which seem fairly stable.

The person to contact for the sources is therefore Fred van Kempen,
<waltje%minixug@plains.nodak.edu> and for more information on the programs
him too or myself <baron@wiesje.hobby.nl>.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst

Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

michael%sunham@sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) (10/26/90)

Someone (whoever it was...) writes:

>I have gcc-1.37.1.tar.Z from wuarchive.wustl.edu and have imported it to
>my MacMINIX file system.  I started trying to compile it but have had very
>little like; I'm fairly unfamilliar with MINIX and have never worked much
>with GNU packages.

The Free Software Foundation (who "made" GnuC) are boycotting Apple. So all
machine-dependent files (headers I believe) will never be made. Even under
Minix one can find such dependencies. Sorry for you!

[ deleted words ]

>UUCP is (yet) another thing I'm looking at getting set up.  I remember reading
>a few months back that someone has UUCP, news and mail handling programs
>running under MINIX.  If someone could let me know where to get more info I'd
>greatly appreciate it.

Read the Info_Sheet available via "archive-server@plains.nodak.edu" (or ftp to
this site). Say "send MINIX/doc/Info_Sheet" and read it. There is a nice
(but mostly incomplete) list of Sites, containing Minix-Stuff. There are
some Sites named, which hold UUCP-Sources (and much more, X-mas is there!)

>Many thanks.

De nada.

Ciao,
      Michael.

benhalzm@uhura.aston.ac.uk (ZM BEN-HALIM) (10/30/90)

If anyone is interested in GCC for the mac, in view of FSF boycott, check
out apple.com in the directory pub/gnu you will find the file
gcc-1.37.tar.Z (size is 2741617 bytes). This obviously is not for Minix
but may be easier to port the the FSF's version.

steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) (11/01/90)

In article <34959@nigel.ee.udel.edu> benhalzm@uhura.aston.ac.uk (ZM BEN-HALIM) writes:

>If anyone is interested in GCC for the mac, in view of FSF boycott, check
>out apple.com in the directory pub/gnu you will find the file
>gcc-1.37.tar.Z (size is 2741617 bytes). This obviously is not for Minix
>but may be easier to port the the FSF's version.

I was told that MacMINIX is binary compatible with ST-MINIX, so I
grabbed the ST version of GCC.  Well-- I keep getting the same recurring
problems over and over again.

When calling 'gcc' I am told that cpp cannot be found.  I coppied
gcc-cpp to cpp, and the problem after that is 'H[unprintable]B not
found'.  After this I moved cpp in the current working directory.
Nothing better happened.

Seeing how my luck wasn't very good, I decided to try 'egrep' (included
with the GCC binaries from the Internet site) to see what sorts of
wonderful complaints it would have when given no filename.  All I got
was 'usage:' BOMB, with the 'reboot' dialog giving an error of 'ID=03'.

If anyone has got the ST binary of GCC or GCC in any form working under
MacMINIX (yeah, I already asked about this and got suggestions of
looking for the ST binary...) I'd appreciate any information that might
lead to a successful GCC use.

For the sake of thoroughness: I have 4mg of RAM, 30mg of MINIX
partition, and am running with a rather standard SE (no FPU, color
cards, internal garbage, etc..).

(Yes: this is the same as deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu)

rnews@qut.edu.au (11/02/90)

In article <34959@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, benhalzm@uhura.aston.ac.uk (ZM BEN-HALIM) writes:

> If anyone is interested in GCC for the mac, in view of FSF boycott, check
> out apple.com in the directory pub/gnu you will find the file
> gcc-1.37.tar.Z (size is 2741617 bytes). This obviously is not for Minix
> but may be easier to port the the FSF's version.

I dont think such extremes are needed, if you want GCC then get the Minix
ST version. I think Mac Minix is enough alike for that ;-)