[comp.os.minix] MacMINIX boot problem

randyt@sequent.UUCP (Randy Thompson) (11/01/90)

I just received my copy of mac minix, excitedly tore the
celophane off of the package and began reading the manual in
preparation for installing it. After a few false starts I was
able to get it installed and running. Not too bad really since I
have been following the traffic on this newsgroup and had the
benefit of those that went before me.

Anyway, I made a few errors in setting up my disk partitions so I
decided to remove it and re-install it with the new partition
sizes that I had decided upon. After I deleted the old
installation and then cleaned up a bit so that I would have
more room, I inserted my duplicate copy of the 00.BOOT disk and
launched the Macboot application.  Here is the result:

	File system panic: Invalid root filesystem.
	Type any key to exit.

I figured that something happened to my duplicate disk so I made
another copy of the original and tried booting it with the same
result.

I made NO system changes from the time of the 1st installation
on. All I did was move some files from the partition that was to
house minix so that I could dedicate the entire partition to
minix.

After my 4th aborted attempt at booting from the 00.BOOT disk, I
re-initialized the partition that minix had been installed on
just in case. No luck here either.

Here is my system config:

	Mac SE/30
	5 MB RAM
	Quantum 40MB internal HD
	Maxtor 200MB external HD (Being installed on a 50MB
		partition on this disk)
	Finder 6.1.5
	System 5.0.5
	NO Additional INITs or CDEVs

Anyone have any ideas?

THANKS in advance!

[ waiting {im}patiently for the reply that makes me kick myself.....]
     \    \             Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.
  \_  \_  -\-              Federal Sales Operations              +-----+
   \ \ \ \  \                1420 Springhill Road                |   # |
    \   \ \  \_)                  Suite 210                      |     |
Randall H. Thompson         McLean, Virginia 22102               +-----+
  (703)442-9100         randyt@dcasqnt.dca.sequent.com            F S O

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (11/02/90)

randyt@sequent.UUCP (Randy Thompson) writes:

>Anyway, I made a few errors in setting up my disk partitions so I
>decided to remove it and re-install it with the new partition
>sizes that I had decided upon. After I deleted the old
>installation and then cleaned up a bit so that I would have
>more room, I inserted my duplicate copy of the 00.BOOT disk and
>launched the Macboot application.  Here is the result:

>	File system panic: Invalid root filesystem.
>	Type any key to exit.

This will happen if you uncheck the "Use RAM disk" in the
configuration dialog box.  In order to get it reset properly,
hold down the mouse button immediatly after double clicking (launching)
the Macboot application. When the configuration box appears, make
sure the "Use RAM disk" item is checked.  If not, check it and click Ok.
This may get yuou back on your way.

Joe Pickert