[comp.os.minix] programming ega video hardware

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (11/03/90)

<<I would have used mail, but a new OS version ruined our mailer>>

In article <12901@chaph.usc.edu> kjh@aludra.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>Help.  I need to know how to program the EGA video hardware directly.
>
>I am pretty sure that it should be possible to disable video refresh on
>both EGA and VGA, but I can't find the information on how to do it.
>(The BIOS does provide a mechanism to do this for VGA, but I can't use
>it.)

IBM sells (or they used to - they seem to be trying to stop telling
people how things work) hardware reference manuals. I have the VGA one
in my lap. Other companies also sell descriptions of their stuff -
I have one from Video 7 that describes their extensions as well as
the standard VGA stuff. This latter is still available for a reasonable
amount - maybe $35.

Good luck figuring out how to do what you want to from this information.

Doug McDonald