[comp.os.minix] How complete is MINIX? What about lex?

u31b3hs@cip-s04.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) (11/05/90)

In "Re: How complete is MINIX? Test with GNUEmacs and X-windows" Timothy Murphy
writes:

>flex (and lex) run ok for me on a PC/XT, compiled with Turbo-C.
>Large arrays have to be defined dynamically, using malloc(),
>but otherwise little needs changing, as I recall.

>memacs (micro-emacs) compiles ok on the PC, using Turbo-C.
>I haven't tried using it, as I'm not an emacs fan,
>but I can't see why there should be any problem.

I am running MicroEMACS 3.8b with MINIX PC 1.5.10.  It compiles without problems, but
documents are limited in length to 25 or 30 KByte.  You do not need Turbo-C, although
it may increase speed, but this is not critical because MicroEMACS is really fast.

Do you speak of a PD lex?  I tried to compile flex (with a few modifications), but there
is not enough stack memory for running it.  For this and some other minor reasons, I am
desperatly seeking a standard lex which compiles and runs on PC MINIX with 64+64 limit.
Please write why you are using Turbo-C.  Which problems do you have compiling it with the
MINIX C compiler?

If you have such a thing, please post it or put it to a ftp server.  A lot of people
here really would be glad to have standard lex for MINIX.  I got the Berkely yacc patches
from plains.nodak.edu:  If we have lex too, we can think of building new compilers!!!!

Please do not email me, I have to pay for email I GET!  Posting is a better way, because
replies related to this article should be of general interest.  (I hope so.)

Michael Haardt

PS: English is not my native language.