[comp.os.minix] New version of minix -- anybody taken it for a spin yet ?

mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) (10/26/90)

I currently have the older version of minix and am thinking of upgrading
to either the new version of minix or coherent.

As the subject line states, is there anyone who has used the new version
of minix?  I am interested in being able to hook email (on minix) up to
another feeder node to get email and usenet info.

Thanks in advance, and I will summarize if anyone is interested.

--
Sincerely,

Mark Pledger

CTI                              |              (703) 685-5434 [voice]
2121 Crystal Drive               |              (703) 685-7022 [fax]
Suite 103                        |
Arlington, DC  22202             |              mpledger@cti.com

tgcpwd@rwc.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (10/27/90)

In article <303@cti1.UUCP> mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) writes:
>As the subject line states, is there anyone who has used the new version
>of minix?  I am interested in being able to hook email (on minix) up to
>another feeder node to get email and usenet info.

I would reckon at least half of the 25,000 readers of this newsgroup, well
at least the Intel users, have the new (what is new, is half a year old)
minix 1.5.10 up and running. For the record: I do. I am now waiting for the
next release (1.6.something as Prof. T. told us recently)

Furthermore I have mail and news running and connected to the outer world.
To prove it mail me at baron@wiesje.hobby.nl and I will reply, using that
mail. Soon a news item will show up by my hand too (on Emacs .ellepro.e with
the use of arrow keys).

Met vriendelijke groeten, -b-b-
Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

anderson@udder.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (10/27/90)

In article <193@rc6.urc.tue.nl> tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl writes:

>I would reckon at least half of the 25,000 readers of this newsgroup, well
>at least the Intel users, have the new (what is new, is half a year old)
>minix 1.5.10 up and running.

Alas, I am one of the other half.  I sent in my 1.3 boot disk
label and a check for $109 on September 14.  I'm still waiting,
and I'm beginning to be pissed.  If you asked later and already
have yours, I'd like to hear about it (AT version).

--
Jess Anderson  Madison Academic Computing Center  University of Wisconsin
Work: Rm. 3130, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/262-5888

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (10/30/90)

anderson@udder.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

>Alas, I am one of the other half.  I sent in my 1.3 boot disk
>label and a check for $109 on September 14.  I'm still waiting,
>and I'm beginning to be pissed.  If you asked later and already
>have yours, I'd like to hear about it (AT version).

The day of joy might be near :-). I ordered mine on September 12th
and it arrived last Thursday (Oct 25th). Curiously enough, about
a week before that I received a note from PH telling me that
this product is not yet available.

While playing around with it I found a few bugs, however:

Ps doesn't work at first, because /etc/pstable is missing. To
create it, /usr/src/kernel/kernel, /usr/src/mm/mm and
/usr/src/fs/fs must be made first. It also works only for root
as normal users cannot read /dev/kmem. Setting the suid bit
solves this problem.

The times(2) call always returns zero. The POSIX standard says
about times:

RETURN VALUE:
	On success times returns the elapsed time sinc an
	arbitrary point in the past (e.g. system startup time)
	in CLK_TCKs of a second.
	This point does not change between two invocations.

and all impementations I've seen (PC/IX, Ultrix, ix/386) do it
that way. I will fix this and post the diffs to fs (What the
heck does times have to do with the file system ? IMHO this
belongs into mm).

Not a necessarily a bug, but a portability problem:
S_IREAD and S_IWRITE (defined under Minix 1.3, most (all?)
Unices, MS_DOS, ..., not in POSIX, however) are no longer
defined in sys/stat.h.
They should be defined as S_IWUSR and S_IRUSR resp. inside
a #ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE.

Elvis dies every now and then with the message `Alarm clock' and
leaves the terminal in raw mode. The sequence `stty
default^Jvirecover' is already hardwired into my fingers after
one weekend :-(.

The keyboard driver has an ugly `feature': It uses codes 0200 ..
0205 for the shift type keys. Unfortunately one German umlaut
lies in this range so I cannot easily make myself a German
keyboard. When (if) I have time I will change the driver so that
it won't use shift codes inside the IBM-ASCII range 0 .. 0377.

Otherwise I am quite pleased with Minix.

Regards,
	Peter.
--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (11/05/90)

In article <1932@tuvie> hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) writes:
>Ps ... also works only for root
>as normal users cannot read /dev/kmem. Setting the suid bit
>solves this problem.

Normal users cannot set the setuid bit for system binaries either :-).
I changed /dev/kmem, not ps.

>The times(2) call always returns zero. The POSIX standard says

It has never "worked" on Minix. My V7 manual doesn't say what it
returns. I have seen it cause a few core dumps from division by zero.

>that way. I will fix this and post the diffs to fs (What the

Implement the ANSI clock() while you are about it. Note that the
kernel sources are a bit confused about clock_t vs time_t.

>Not a necessarily a bug, but a portability problem:
>S_IREAD and S_IWRITE (defined under Minix 1.3, most (all?)
>Unices, MS_DOS, ..., not in POSIX, however) are no longer
>defined in sys/stat.h.
>They should be defined as S_IWUSR and S_IRUSR resp. inside
>a #ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE.

This is definitely not a bug, but it is one of many portability
problems caused by Minix having nearly ANSI/POSIX-conformant
headers while few programs are written for POSIX. The problems are
a little worse than they need to be since old Unix features such
as S_IREAD are frowned upon. POSIX features are not allowed in ANSI
headers such as <limits.h>, so in practice you always have to
define _POSIX_SOURCE to get them, and #ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE is
not useful.

>Elvis dies every now and then with the message `Alarm clock' and
>leaves the terminal in raw mode. The sequence `stty

This seems to be a common problem. It may only be in the old version
of elvis.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au