[comp.os.minix] SCSI disk drives under MINIX

irani@cs.umn.edu (Erach Irani) (10/30/90)

Is there any limitation as to the SCSI disk drives MINIX can talk to.
Most PC UNIX's cannot use the STO2 adaptor which costs only $ 35 or so
and works fine with DOS.  (The other SCSI adaptors cost  around $200).

How much disk space is good to use MINIX.  Is 80 Meg OK for MINIX,
GNUEmacs, DOS, latex (6 Meg in DOS), and Microsoft Windows.

	Thanks,
	erach (irani@cs.umn.edu)
--
Phone : (Home) (612) 378-2336     Work : (612) 627-4850
InterNet : irani@cs.umn.edu       UUCP: uunet!umn-cs!irani

MDOELL%DOSUNI1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Magnus Doell) (10/30/90)

On Mon, 29 Oct 90 16:37:10 GMT Erach Irani said:
>Is there any limitation as to the SCSI disk drives MINIX can talk to.
>Most PC UNIX's cannot use the STO2 adaptor which costs only $ 35 or so
>and works fine with DOS.  (The other SCSI adaptors cost  around $200).

In official MINIX there isn't a special driver for SCSI. So you have to
use bios_wini.c or write a special SCSI driver yourself or ask me for my
SCSI driver. If you want to use bios_wini.c you will loose the protected
mode and than you couldn't port GNUemacs etc. to MINIX (see below).
Also you might get problems with bios_wini.c as Seagates BIOS uses the
BIOS timer variable for timeouts and MINIX doesn't update this location
(this may be true in other BIOS drivers also).

>How much disk space is good to use MINIX.  Is 80 Meg OK for MINIX,
>GNUEmacs, DOS, latex (6 Meg in DOS), and Microsoft Windows.

This might be enough for the binaries but it wouldn't be enough during
porting the GNU software to MINIX (I use 60 Meg for MINIX and have to be
a disk-jockey for moving sources in and out as I need them until I got a
second disk (300 Meg :-)

You need the following things for porting GNUemacs etc.:
1. Bruce' 386 extension for MINIX-PC and Bruce' BCC
2. Porting GNU gcc (Bruce has done this, I am still working on)
3. At least 4M RAM (better 8) as MINIX doesn't swap and GNUemacs
   needs a lot of memory for itself and for all the files you are
   working on with this beast.
4. Porting GNUemacs etc.
5. A lot of help from other people (I couldn't believe that porting
   all this stuff will be easy and could be done quick by one person :-)

Ma.D.

MDOELL%DOSUNI1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Magnus Doell) (10/31/90)

On Tue, 30 Oct 90 13:13:56 GMT Magnus Doell said:
>2. Porting GNU gcc (Bruce has done this, I am still working on)

I have forgotten to say that you need another system than MINIX-PC (even
with Bruce 386 extensions) for bootstrapping gcc :-(
This system must be able to compile gcc (best with only minor changes -
I use a sun 3 workstation better use a vax so the byte ordering isn't a
problem).

schuerch@hslrswi.UUCP (Heinz Christoph Schuerch) (11/05/90)

In article <34957@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, MDOELL%DOSUNI1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Magnus Doell) writes:

> You need the following things for porting GNUemacs etc.:
> 1. Bruce' 386 extension for MINIX-PC and Bruce' BCC
> 2. Porting GNU gcc (Bruce has done this, I am still working on)
> 3. At least 4M RAM (better 8) as MINIX doesn't swap and GNUemacs
>    needs a lot of memory for itself and for all the files you are
>    working on with this beast.
>  etc.

I'am also interested to port GNU gcc to 32-Bit MINIX, but as my knowledge is
not so advanced, I have some difficulties in seeing the procedure to reach
this point.
I suppose, that most of the procedure has to be done on a SUN; as this is
a possible way for my, could you (or Bruce Evans) tell my (us) :

	- what was the gcc/gas - Version you started from ?
	- could you summarize the procedure you applied
	- what files had to be changed ?
	- etc

I think, it would be very interesting for other poeple, to follow this steps.

heinz schuerch			|
ascom tech ag			|   schuerch@tech.ascom.ch
3018 bern			|
switzerland			|