[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5 GRRR!!!!

rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) (11/04/90)

I have just spent about 4 hours trying to load Minix 1.5 on my AT-clone,
and I'm really peeved.

1. The setup_usr script will NOT WORK if /dev/hd2 is the root.  You MUST
   have a RAM-disk (cost: 2 hours).
   This is because /dev/hd2 cannot be mounted - It's already mounted!!
   (page 18 of manual)

2. I have 1MB of memory in my AT, so on the second pass, I followed the
   instructions on page 12 to make a 512 K RAM-disk as suggested.
   Now, when I boot (but see comment #3) the system displays an error
   message, immediately clears the screen (and I do mean *immediately*)
   and reboots.

3. On page 16 of manual, it omits the step that you must use I followed by
   H3 to select hard disk as source of RAM image.

4. Just like Minix 1.2, if you type any extraneous characters during booting
   (such as the *shift key*!) the OS crashes later.

5. O.K. so I generate a 384K RAM disk and now everything works ...up to page 18
   again.  I run setup_usr and after two or three minutes get the errors:

   unrecoverable disk error on device 2/0 at block 453
   nonmaskable interrupt

   kernel panic - type any key to reboot

   I can't believe that a disk error requires a reboot, but for whatever
   reason, I can't get past this point.  I'm STUCK.

6. Another quibble is the fact that the system tries to write to the write-
   protected diskettes.  Obviously, since these are masters, I would not
   put them into the machine without write-protecting them.  Only an idiot
   would suggest such a thing.
   But the manual does not suggest making backups of them.

Any suggestions?  Has anyone had any luck with this package?

Oh one more point.

7. There is no number, address, or anything else in the manual as to where
   someone should call or write for help.  Is it Prentice-Hall's intention
   to orphan people out there with a manual containing errors and omissions
   possibly bad diskettes and NO WHERE TO GO FOR HELP?

Well?

uunet!virtech!rickr (5 hours now)

--

Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr	"Yesterday's Tomorrow is Here Today"

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (11/05/90)

I have the PH Minix 1.5 dist. Explicit instructions to back up the
diskettes are given. The Minix support number is printed on the
carton: 1-800-624-0023 or 1-201-767-5969.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

leipold@eplrx7.uucp (Walt Leipold) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov03.172209.28565@virtech.uucp> Rick Rodman writes:
>[setting up Minix 1.5 on a PC-AT...]
>5. O.K. so I generate a 384K RAM disk and now everything works ...up to page
>   18 again.  I run setup_usr and after two or three minutes get the errors:
>
>   unrecoverable disk error on device 2/0 at block 453
>
>Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr	"Yesterday's Tomorrow is Here Today"

Surprise, surprise -- I get *exactly* the same error (even the same block
number) while running setup_usr under the Macintosh verion of Minix 1.5!
I've tried a few simple fixes, but nothing seems to help.  Has anybody
seen this error and subsequently conquered it?

"If you want to read about love and marriage,                 Walt Leipold
you've got to buy two separate books."          (leipolw%esvax@dupont.com)
The UUCP Mailer