[comp.os.minix] term w/ Ext US keyboard & shoelace

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu (11/05/90)

	I have been having a slight problem using term with the extended US
keyboard while booting with shoelace. I tell shoelace to use scancode 22
(lowercase u I believe). I can check into term, but I can't check out! by
that I mean, when I press the 5 to get out, it won't. In  fact any key you
press won't get you out of term, you simple can't stop it (without a reboot)
Also it might be nice to have a way to send the break character. We use port
selectors, and some of our machines a to dumb to disconnect from the login:
prompt. You have to send it break, get the port selector prompt again, and tell
it to disconnect. ie no break, your stuck.

			mike.irons

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (11/06/90)

In article <35424@nigel.ee.udel.edu> mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
> [.. ..] I can check into term, but I can't check out! by that I mean,
> when I press the 5 to get out, it won't. [.. ..]
>			mike.irons

The "5" key above the "R" and "T" is not the key to press to exit term:
the key to press is the "5" on the separate numeric keypad (yup, the one
in the middle). Too bad term doesn't announce this everytime you use it in
order to remind the unwary.
				   --
--==---==---==--
Wabe: A grass-plot round a sundial

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (11/06/90)

In article <35424@nigel.ee.udel.edu> mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>	I have been having a slight problem using term with the extended US
>keyboard while booting with shoelace. I tell shoelace to use scancode 22
>(lowercase u I believe). I can check into term, but I can't check out! by
>that I mean, when I press the 5 to get out, it won't. In  fact any key you

This is a problem. It also appears on many portables, because there is no
proper numeric keypad. You are supposed to modify the sequence in term.c:

char endseq[] = "\033[G";	/* sequence to leave simulator */

It would be better if term.c checked more than one sequence.

>press won't get you out of term, you simple can't stop it (without a reboot)

Almost anything can be stopped without a reboot, by Ctrl-F9 on the PC. This
sends SIGKILL. term is better stopped using Ctrl-F8. This sends SIGINT. In
fact, this works perfectly when term is run from the console but not when
it is run from another terminal (the magic sequence works from another
Minix-PC system used as a terminal).

>Also it might be nice to have a way to send the break character. We use port

It looks like this will have to wait for a POSIX-conformant tty interface.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au

papo@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Luis R. Anaya) (11/06/90)

Howdy:

This is a message that Dave sent to me mistakenly.  I'm  making the
posting for him.

Luis

--------Message begins ---------

I don't quite know how to use this network to submit a message,
so I composed a reply.  Sorry, no owner's manual for usenet.

Does anyone know if problems exist with the readclock command
for IBM minix?  I am running a 386, with 1.5.10, and the
program returns "-q" due to a port input failure.  Any
patches out there?

Dave Smith

Luis R. Anaya  | Everything said here is mine.
Luj^s R. Anaja | Tutan la ioj^n mi skribis c^i tie estas mian.
papo@cs.cornell.edu