[net.unix-wizards] Very Distant Host support under 4.1bsd Unix.

mark.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay@sri-unix (09/08/82)

From:     Mark Weiser <mark.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>
Date:     4 Sep 82 12:03:29-EDT (Sat)
Our 50 kbit line to the Arpanet arrives next month, I thought I was
all prepared by obtaining the IP/TCP kernel from BBN (although I
haven't looked at installing it yet), but now I hear a rumor...

We want to run Very Distant Host protocol directly on our Vax-11/780
running Berkeley 4.1 Unix.  Is this possible?  Friends at the University
of Rochester tell me they have tried and it doesn't work, only local
host support is any good.  Help!  Do I really need a C30?

dpk@BRL@sri-unix (09/10/82)

From:     Doug Kingston <dpk@BRL>
Date:     8 Sep 82 4:44:12-EDT (Wed)
I can't speak to the condition of the VDH (or HDH) code
in 4.1, but even if it worked, you would not want to use it,
the system load of doing all the VDH (HDH) protocol on top of
TCP/IP is prohibitively expensive.  A better solution to your
problem of being distant from the IMP, is to buy a pair of ECU's
(error correction units) which are manufactured by the same people
who bring you the LHDH-11 ArpaNet Interface (ACC, Associated Computer
Consultants).  These wonderful boxes are designed to be placed between
the IMP host port and your CPU interface.  The ECU at the IMP end looks
like a host, and the ECU at the HOST end looks like an IMP.  In the
you hook up the best phone line you can get (the one you would be
running VDH on) and the ECU do the error correction in hardware to
provide an error free link from HOST to IMP.  The ECU can look like
a DISTANT or LOCAL host on either end, and the ECU is good for all the
bandwidth you can give it.  Its also a lot cheaper than getting another
IMP.
					Don't let VDH get you down,
							-Doug-

mo@LBL-UNIX@sri-unix (09/10/82)

From: mo at LBL-UNIX (Mike O'Dell [system])
Date: 8 Sep 1982 09:43:47-PDT
With all due respect for the people that did the VDH back in the
Dark Ages, the VDH is famous for not working very well.  They
have been the cause of premature retirement for more than one
good ARPAnet software support person. There are persistant
rumors that Greg Noel down at NOSC may be working on a VDH
driver for 4.1a, but if he gives up, noone would blame him.  The best
thing to do, if your IMP must be remote from you, is to get a pair
of ECU-II's from ACC.  The Error Control Units connect to modems
between the pair, and to the host, it looks like a local IMP interface,
and to the IMP, it looks like a local host interface.  ECU's are not
perfect, and if you have a really rotten phone line between them,
you will have grief, but not nearly as much as with a VDH.  The other
alternative would be to do an HDH driver, which would actually be
doing the world a large service.  But I am somewhat curious about
your comment about "do I really need a C30?"  If you don't
have one, who does??  I have been assuming from your questions that
you will be remote from some other IMP.  Somewhere the must be an IMP
HOST PORT to which your machine is attached.

	-Mike

obrien@RAND-UNIX@sri-unix (09/10/82)

Date: Wednesday,  8 Sep 1982 10:29-PDT
I have never actually attempted to run VDH, but everyone I've ever
talked to has been very negative about the experience.  It is apparently
extremely difficult to get the software exactly right for checksumming, etc.
the packets from the IMP, and the link is very, very slow.

	If your phone Co. is good you might try running a local host
interface using ACC ECU boxes, which shove 1822 over a phone line using
SDLC.  These let you run a local/distant host interface over miles and miles
of phone line, if your IMP actually has room in it for a local/distant
interface.  Our own experience in this department has not been sterling,
because we have General Telephone here.  The link to Rand-Relay is an ECU
link over a leased line to an IMP four or five miles away.  This link worked
just fine until the Rixon-Sangamo T209 modem on the other end blew up, and
it hasn't been right since.  Our new C-30 eliminates our need for this link.

	It seems to be a little-known fact that on a Honeywell TIP, the TIP
hardware takes up so much rack space that the fourth hookup to the IMP MUST
be a VDH.  On C-30's this restriction has been removed.  That was our
situation and is the reason we chose to run with ECU's to an IMP miles away,
rather than attempting to run VDH for 50 feet.  After Gen. Tel. I'm not sure
which alternative was worse.

CCVAX.ron@NOSC@sri-unix (09/13/82)

Date: 10 Sep 1982 01:34:37-PDT
The "persistent rumors that Greg Noel down at NOSC may be working on a VDH
driver for 4.1a" are no longer valid.  Greg quit NPRDC a few weeks ago
and the VDH project is now dead.  The day after he quit his management
scrambled for the $$$ to buy an LHDH and a pair of ECUs.

--Ron

greg (09/14/82)

I'm sorry to report that I will NOT be doing a VDH driver for 4.1aBSD.
The reason is not the technical difficulty, but politics -- the facility
where I worked was transfered (over my protests) to the control of
technically incompetent people whose ethics I find questionable.  I had
no choice but to resign my post.  I still hope someone will do it, but
I'm afraid it will not be me.

MO is wrong on one point, though -- we found the VDH very reliable, once
the hardware pecularities were understood.  Both the C and the E versions
are bitches to drive, but we never had hardware problems with the E and
only twice with the C (over a period of about eight years).  I wish the
CPU had been that reliable.....

greg (09/14/82)

(Line noise seems to have caused a ^D; I'll continue.....)

The best bet for people who currently have a VDH is to get some
of the magic boxes from ACC as indicated by MO and Doug (and others).
I'm told that the measured bandwidth is about ten to fifteen percent
less than the most recent version of the VDH driver (I've improved it
a lot), but, of course, the host overhead is somewhat less.  You pays
your money and you takes your choice.

-- Greg Noel, now working for NCR     ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!greg

DEDWARDS@USC-ISI@sri-unix (09/14/82)

Date: 10 Sep 1982 1207-PDT

Don't know about the VDH support, but you do NOT need a c/30.
You can use a pair of ECU's to go the long haul and they allow you
to look like a local host (ECU's are built by ACC).

Howard Weiss
-------