[comp.os.minix] Simple questions about MINIX.

papo@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Luis R. Anaya) (11/06/90)

Hi!

I'm thinking to buy minix and install it in a IBM XT machine.
One thing that I'm really concern is about its performance in this
machine plataform.  I'm not expecting to convert my machine in the
ultimate somethix machine.  An adequate performance is all what I asked.
One friend of mine install PCVMS in his XT machine and our experience was not
a good one.  Extremely slow performance, lack of memory to run applications
and its crash prowness were the reasons why we decided to get rid of it.

Can somebody give me any feedback in this topic?

Have someone have though about using MINIX machines in packet radio networks?

Luis Anaya

Luis R. Anaya  | Everything said here is mine.
Luj^s R. Anaja | Tutan la ioj^n mi skribis c^i tie estas mian.
papo@cs.cornell.edu

u31b3hs@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) (11/07/90)

Hello World!

In "Simple questions about MINIX." Luis R. Anaya writes:

>I'm thinking to buy minix and install it in a IBM XT machine.
>One thing that I'm really concern is about its performance in this
>machine plataform.  I'm not expecting to convert my machine in the
>ultimate somethix machine.  An adequate performance is all what I asked.
>One friend of mine install PCVMS in his XT machine and our experience was not
>a good one.  Extremely slow performance, lack of memory to run applications
>and its crash prowness were the reasons why we decided to get rid of it.

A friend of mine is running MINIX PC 1.5.10 with 2 virtual consoles plus one vt100
connected and shared text segments on an 8 Mhz V20 XT with 640 KB.  It runs fine,
although his winchester (20 MB) is a little bit slow with 65 ms average access time.
We compiled whole MINIX including libraries and all commands on this machine which
took one night.

MINIX will not change your XT to an 386, but many things seem to work faster than
with DOS including winchester and disk using.  Lack of memory is a little problem, if
more than one user logs in.  In this case, you have to decide:  One user compiling and
testing programs or two users writing things with the editor, because the C Compiler
takes a lot of memory.  I am accustomed to use MINIX PC on a 386 20 MHz 2MB machine and
I am very astonished how fine MINIX is running on XT computers.

We will test a new text formatter on his machine next week and I will post an annoucement
when everything runs ok.  This will show what a XT really can do, because it needs a lot
of cpu time and does many winchester accesses.  Don't ask me for more details about it,
I will post them in the next two weeks.

Michael Haardt

PS. Please do not email me, I have to pay for email I get and I get enough. Sorry.