[comp.os.minix] MacMinx: Serial ports & Multifinder

worrall@freezer.it.udel.edu (Robert Worrall) (10/31/90)

I am running MacMinix on a IIci 4/105 with system 6.0.7.  I find that Minix
takes over the serial ports when I boot it and I am unable to sustain my
network or modem connections.  I understand that it is good for Minix to
be able to access these serial ports but is there a way to disable Minix from
requesting the ports so I can do serial IO with another multifinder process?
BTW: the result of accessing the serial ports when minix is active is a hard
crash on my system.

Thanks for any suggestions:

Robert Todd Worrall	CS Undergrad @ The Univer$ity of Delaware
1106 Christiana West Tower, Newark, DE. 19717
worrall@freezer.it.udel.edu
kb2ggs@wb0jjx.ampr.org

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (11/01/90)

worrall@freezer.it.udel.edu (Robert Worrall) writes:

>I am running MacMinix on a IIci 4/105 with system 6.0.7.  I find that Minix
>takes over the serial ports when I boot it and I am unable to sustain my
>network or modem connections.  I understand that it is good for Minix to
>be able to access these serial ports but is there a way to disable Minix from
>requesting the ports so I can do serial IO with another multifinder process?
>BTW: the result of accessing the serial ports when minix is active is a hard
>crash on my system.

The serial lines are opened with OpenDriver calls, which should fail when
the port is already in use by another application (at least this is the
way I read the documentation), and a little message should occur in the
console window saying the opendriver failed.  Now this seems to work
when I specifiy that appletalk is being used on one of the ports (i.e., MINIX
wont use that port and I get a little message). However, when I started
Macintosh Kermit first, and then started MINIX, I didn't get a message,
so either 1) I misunderstood the rules for using the ports, or 2) some
other apps aren't following the rules. Probably #1.

As to your problem, in the short term you could turn on appletalk on the
port you want to use, then start minix, then turn appletalk off and start
your serial line app (can you say hack?).  A better solution is to rebuild
kernel with NR_RS_LINES == 0. An even better solution would probably be to
eventually put it in the configuration dialog box.

Joe Pickert

KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk (Kevin Purcell) (11/02/90)

On Wed, 31 Oct 90 19:00:50 GMT Joseph R Pickert (archetyp@EDU.UIUC.CSO.UXH)
said:

>worrall@freezer.it.udel.edu (Robert Worrall) writes:
>
>>I am running MacMinix on a IIci 4/105 with system 6.0.7.  I find that Minix
>>takes over the serial ports when I boot it and I am unable to sustain my
>>network or modem connections.
[...]

[...]
>As to your problem, in the short term you could turn on appletalk on the
>port you want to use, then start minix, then turn appletalk off and start
>your serial line app (can you say hack?).  A better solution is to rebuild
>kernel with NR_RS_LINES == 0. An even better solution would probably be to
>eventually put it in the configuration dialog box.
>
>Joe Pickert

The best solution would be to support the Communications Toolbox, then you
would be able to do network connections too! (remember do as I say, not as
I do :-)

I don't own mac Minix ..... yet!

Kevin

Kevin G. Purcell     |      | |      | ........kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk........
Surface Science,     |      o=o      |  "Programming the Macintosh is easy
Liverpool University | ____/   \____ |  if you understand how the Mac works
Liverpool L69 3BX UK | O-O-O-O-O-O-O |  and hard if you don't." -- Dan Allen

michel%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com (Michel Pollet) (11/07/90)

In message of  2 Nov 90 00:20:49 GMT, kpurcell said :
> [Joe's stuff about serial ports]
> >Joe Pickert
>
> The best solution would be to support the Communications Toolbox, then you
> would be able to do network connections too! (remember do as I say, not as
> I do :-)

    Here in france we can buy 'Le Diplomate' CDEV, that allow standard
    serial application to use Connection Tool of Communication Toolbox
    You can TCP with the old kermit !!

    Join :
         Access Privilege
         BP 80, Sophia Antipolis Cedex
         06565 Nice
         France

> I don't own mac Minix ..... yet!

    I only recieved a $0 bill ;-)

Q: Is there a Minix for SUN 3/80 now ?

Michel 'BusError' Pollet               | "This place is reserved for future
michel%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com | use and is intentionaly left blank"