[comp.os.minix] elle

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/28/87)

I have not seen any postings about ELLE so far, nor have I received any mail.
I am beginning to suspect that either
  1) My posting of ELLE (an Emacs clone written by Ken Harrenstien) got lost
  2) Everybody in netland is a dyed-in-the-wool vi addict and doesn't care
  3) Nobody in the U.S. or Europe works during the second half of December
     any more, which explains why the hard-working Japanese are doing so well

I have received some other mail and news, so mcvax is still healthy.

If anyone has installed ELLE, please post your experiences with it, as well
as gripes, etc.  Is anyone planning to make it compile on MINIX, presumably
by very carefully deleting a few files?

One remark.  If you are entering a program or document by just typing it in,
every time you enter a new line, the screen scrolls 1 line up.  Since the
bottom two lines are for status and messages, this "scrolling" is accomplished
by redisplaying the entire screen.  On an AT, this is barely noticeable.  On
a PC, I am not sure.  The way I got ELLE from Ken, it scrolled about 15
lines when the screen filled up, so that "scrolling" didn't happen very often.
I didn't like this feature, and badgered him to parameterize it.  If there
is massive demand, I could generate another version that did it his way
and post that.  I personally don't like looking at blank screen, but I can
sort of imagine that on a very slow machine, the constant redisplaying every
line could become tiresome.  Unfortunately, the number of lines to scroll
when the screen fills up is a compile time, rather than a run time, parameter.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) (12/29/87)

  ast  --
	We certainly recieved elle in it's glory :-) here, which says
alot considering neraly everything we get is mangled or lost :-(.  I
grabbed it and was looking foward to using it, but it seems I don't
have the ansi tty driver that I need for that and more.c -- I'm still
looking foward to having an editor that can handle large files, and
it seems elle will be it.  Thanks very much for your christmas present!

   As a side note, I've gotten it to work finally with my hard disk
(I had had troubled before), and it turns out I'm missing or have
mangled copies of some things I'm wanting to put up.  Could some
kind soul on the net mail me the ansi tty drivers -and/or- the
1.2 tar files?  I have the tars, but they appear hoplessly mangled.

                                                _____________
                                                  /
                                               --/ __ _______
                                              (_/ (_) / / / <_ Livingston
                                              { decuac,ihnp4 }!netsys!tsl

bae@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) (12/29/87)

Elle doesn't seem to have "exit without saving the changes made" command.
The "^X^C" key sequence is bound to "Write File & Exit" command, which
always writes the file.  Am I missing something?

As a side note, I know "elle" is pretty efficient and small, but once
you get spoiled with real emacs, no other editor meets your expectations.

Hwa Jin Bae                  (415) 463-6865
Control Data Corporation     bae@{lll-tis.arpa,lll-aftac.arpa}    (Internet)
4234 Hacienda Drive          {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!plseca!hbae (UUCP)
Pleasanton, CA 94566         **** CDC is not responsible for my opinion ***

paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (12/29/87)

In article <1805@botter.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>If anyone has installed ELLE, please post your experiences with it, as well
>as gripes, etc.  Is anyone planning to make it compile on MINIX, presumably
>by very carefully deleting a few files?

Sorry, Andy... it's just that I'm very bad about sending thank-you notes
for Christmas presents... doubly so if I'm too busy PLAYING with the new
Christmas toy to remember!

ELLE came up pretty easily on my system... I'm using my own TTY driver, and
getting ELLE pretty much forced the issue of fixing my driver to support
ANSI escape sequences (which I did in about two hours).  Unfortunately,
I can't think of any way of coming up with a termcap "cm" entry to describe
the way cursor movement is done with the MINIX non-ANSI driver, so ANSI
support is pretty much a necessity.  Other than that, it came up for me
without a hitch, and I've been using it quite productively ever since!

As for getting it to compile under MINIX, that may be one of my subsequent
projects once my TTY driver is done.  You probably haven't heard about it
because the sources haven't appeared on bugs.nosc.mil until today (Dec. 28);
I just ftp'ed them over not half an hour ago.

Anyway, many, many thanks!

   +----------------+  Jim Paradis                  linus--+
+--+-------------+  |  Encore Computer Corp.       necntc--|
|  | E N C O R E |  |  257 Cedar Hill St.           ihnp4--+-encore!paradis
|  +-------------+--+  Marlboro MA 01752           decvax--|
+----------------+     (617) 460-0500             talcott--+
...coated with sesame seeds, and garnished with lark's vomit!

jrl@anuck.UUCP (j.r.lupien) (12/29/87)

In article <1805@botter.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>   1) My posting of ELLE (an Emacs clone written by Ken Harrenstien) got lost

Could be! I saw notes in this newsgroup, but no sources.

>   2) Everybody in netland is a dyed-in-the-wool vi addict and doesn't care

Here here! I'm looking for "visuelle" next - I dread the thought
of having to write it myself.

>   3) Nobody in the U.S. or Europe works during the second half of December
>      any more, which explains why the hard-working Japanese are doing so well

This seems to be the most plausible explanation, at least when I look
out the window into the near-empty parking lot. Fortunately, I do not
have to move to Japan to continue working hard (or is hardly working?)

			ihnp4!mvuxa!anuxh!jrl

NU070156%NDSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Glen Overby) (12/29/87)

Andy,
  ELLE came across great. Bitnet even got it :-) The only problem I had getting
it to work was that I ..um.. er.. (how do you admit to pulling a dumb one?)
forgot to set my TERM type (AND export it).

  I've used "real" emacs, so I didnt bother with the MINED profile, but
the 'Set Mark' key wasn't bound (its listed twice in your reference, once
as setting Mark, and the other as 'debugging'). This was readily solved
by stealing the key binding from the minix .ellepro.e. Other than that,
I've been using it with no problems. I edited a 96K file with no problems,
and am tickled to find how fast elle moves through files, even on disk (I've
got a hard disk tho).

The screen redrawing on a PC Clone at 8MHz/no waitstates is noticeable,
but not terribly bothersome; I just keep on typing.

I'd really like to see somebody solve the link problem by splitting up
asld into separate assembly and link steps. This would make compiling
a LOT faster, I think.

Now to get the sources and see what the thing is really made of...

Glen Overby
Bitnet: ncoverby@ndsuvax
uucp: uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby, ihnp4!umn-cs!ndsuvax!ncoverby

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/29/87)

In article <21931@tis.llnl.gov> bae@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:
>Elle doesn't seem to have "exit without saving the changes made" command.
>The "^X^C" key sequence is bound to "Write File & Exit" command, which
>always writes the file.  Am I missing something?

You can exit without writing the file by typing ^X^Z (or ^X in the mined
bindings).  In both cases you will be queried about whether to write the
file or not.  This function is called "Return to Superior" in the profile.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Robert_Bruce_Ferrell@cup.portal.com (04/28/88)

I know this is stupid, but, can anyone tell me if elle (misspelling is mine)
is available anywhere?  Maybe a repost?

BBS@dlvh.daresbury.ac.uk (07/07/90)

I know this question has been asked before but no replies were ever
received here.

Is there any way, short of hacking the ELLE executable, that the
cursor keys can be remapped?

Thanks

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu (10/26/90)

	I missed Andy's (Dr. T.'s) posting in reply to my posting. I realize
that you can use the arrow keys, but ONLY if you fiddle with the .ellepro
enough to loose other features, or at least move them from where they normally
are. Elle is supposed to Look Like Emacs, not Mined which is the .ellepro
that gives you the arrow keys. What I was proposing (and as usual I should have
made myself clearer) was to improve the arrow handling so as to be able to use
them in the base system (the one that runs as close to 'real' emacs as it can)
or a way add arrow (and the extended editing keys, like on my VT220) without
having to fiddle with the .ellepro and it's meta chracter. I don't remember
the exact contents of the .ellepro file, but there is something in it that
fiddles with the ESC char telling elle that the ESC char means an esc-sequence
is about to show up.

			mike.irons%lynx@helios.northeastern.edu

dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (DAVID A. FENYES) (10/27/90)

Hello, Mike,

You write

> are. Elle is supposed to Look Like Emacs, not Mined which is the .ellepro
> that gives you the arrow keys. What I was proposing (and as usual I should have
> made myself clearer) was to improve the arrow handling so as to be able to use
> them in the base system (the one that runs as close to 'real' emacs as it can)
> or a way add arrow (and the extended editing keys, like on my VT220) without
> having to fiddle with the .ellepro and it's meta chracter. I don't remember
> the exact contents of the .ellepro file, but there is something in it that
> fiddles with the ESC char telling elle that the ESC char means an esc-sequence
> is about to show up.

There is a function called "VT-100 Button Hack", or something similar, that
will take an A,B,C, or D and perform the appropriate movement.  If you
bind this to E-[ in ellepro.e & recompile (because the func may be ommitted
in your config), the arrow keys will work.  In porting Elle to Coherent,
I added support for the whole keypad & function keys in this function.
You can get the Coherent version for inspection from piggy.ucsb.edu
(128.111.72.50) in /pub/coherent/sources/Elle41C.zip.  I believe it should
compile fine on MINIX still.

So you only have to alter defprf.e at most, if you wand arrows.

Good Luck,

David.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
David Fenyes                                  dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
University of Texas Medical School            Houston, Texas

UPSYF173%DBIUNI11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Q DISK A) (11/08/90)

I don't know anything about elle - I'm using micro emacs - but I think
it is better to create a better TERMCAP file and add termcap support to
those programs that use hard-wired key mapping (like mined), then to try
individual solutions for one program.
I'm already working on a TERMCAP file for the ATARI-ST, but I want to
coordinate this:      I don't like the lately posted PC TERMCAP file,
because it restricts the number of usable keys. I would like to support
the following keys:
     - function keys 0 to 9    k0-k9
     - PageUp/PageDown         PU PD or K..
     - WordLeft/WordRight      WL WR or K..
     - Home/End                kh kH
     - Help/Undo               K.. ?
There are some other keys I would like to define (f-keys 10-19), but I think
there is no  'legal' way to do it (ref.: GNU termcap.info).
I would prefer to use the somehow less-standard codes PU/PD WL/WR than K1..5,
so that we have 5 spare definitions for terminal-specific keys (like HELP UNDO)
on the Atari.

Question: What other keys must be represented?
          Who is going to do the stuff for PC, .. terminals?
Please reply directly to me. I'll summarize to the net.
                                                Wolfgang Thiel