[comp.os.minix] Macminix: Crashes...help...

worrall@brahms.udel.edu (Robert T Worrall) (11/06/90)

Well, I seem to have a popular problem.  I can't get Macminix stabilized on my
system.  I am running Macminix on a IIci 4/105 (6.0.7).  The problem is very
simple,  All I have to do is boot Macminix and wait.  Eventually it will
crash with illegal instruction error.  If I am in multifinder it I get the
unexpectedly quit dialog about 50% of the time and a frozen mouse the other
times.  If I am in unifinder the mouse just freezes. Often I can work with Minix
for a while with no problems, it just seems to crash whenever.  Especially
when it has idle time.  I have adusted the stack space to several (larger)
values with no change, as well as it's MF partition.  Macminix is great when
it is running, but I just can't manage to keep it that way.  Any suggestions
are requested, I am becoming frustrated.  Oh yea, no inits were loaded when
I was making the above observations.

_Todd

Robert Todd Worrall	CS @ Univer$ity of Delaware
worrall@freezer.it.udel.edu
kb2ggs@wb0jjx.ampr.org

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (11/07/90)

worrall@brahms.udel.edu (Robert T Worrall) writes:

>Well, I seem to have a popular problem.  I can't get Macminix stabilized on my
>system.  I am running Macminix on a IIci 4/105 (6.0.7).  The problem is very
>simple,  All I have to do is boot Macminix and wait.  Eventually it will
>crash with illegal instruction error.  If I am in multifinder it I get the
>unexpectedly quit dialog about 50% of the time and a frozen mouse the other
>times.  If I am in unifinder the mouse just freezes. Often I can work with Minix
>for a while with no problems, it just seems to crash whenever.  Especially
>when it has idle time.  I have adusted the stack space to several (larger)
>values with no change, as well as it's MF partition.  Macminix is great when
>it is running, but I just can't manage to keep it that way.  Any suggestions
>are requested, I am becoming frustrated.  Oh yea, no inits were loaded when
>I was making the above observations.

Since I just spent entire evening running MacMINIX on a IIci that
was running system 6.0.5, and since other people on other machines seem
to have problems with 6.0.7, I can guess there is a 6.0.7 incompatabilty.
Will someone who is crashing under 6.0.7 please try 6.0.5 and send me
some mail.

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (11/07/90)

>Since I just spent entire evening running MacMINIX on a IIci that
>was running system 6.0.5, and since other people on other machines seem
>to have problems with 6.0.7, I can guess there is a 6.0.7 incompatabilty.
>Will someone who is crashing under 6.0.7 please try 6.0.5 and send me
>some mail.

MacMinix seems to be running okay on my 6.0.7 Mac II.  One thing that I
did notice is that it doesn't get along with the Virtual INIT.  This is
the very first program that I've encountered that doesn't...  With Virtual
in, MacMinix will not boot.  It hangs the Mac.

Ray

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (11/08/90)

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) writes:

>MacMinix seems to be running okay on my 6.0.7 Mac II.  One thing that I
>did notice is that it doesn't get along with the Virtual INIT.  This is
>the very first program that I've encountered that doesn't...  With Virtual
>in, MacMinix will not boot.  It hangs the Mac.

Yes, I'm aware of the Virtual problem.  The people who make it and
I are currently exchanging respective software in hopes of finding the
problem.

Also, as some people have found out, MACMINIX does not seem to
get along with many screen savers and some inits. This is because
these programs (and some other programs as well) simply take over
the machine and start doing their thing whenever they want, on
whatever stack happens to be active (which they assume to be the
one and only application stack).  This is not a good thing,
since some of the Quickdraw routines use significant amounts of
stack space.

Screen savers should only take over the machine only at a Mac OS
call boundry (GetNextEvent would be best).  If they did this, there
would be no problem because MINIX switches to the main application
stack before doing Mac OS calls.  Inits should use their own stack.

Joe Pickert