[comp.os.minix] ST minix

wsinjj@eutrc3.UUCP (Jan Joris Vereyken) (04/16/88)

Because of friend of mine has Minix for the Atari ST, and promised me to
give me a copy, I was wondering wether or not there are other people on
usenet who have experience with the ST version. If you have, please mail
me! Thanx in advance :-)

					Jan Joris Vereijken

					wsinjj@eutrc3.uucp
					rcst14@heitue5.bitnet

jeff@polyof.UUCP (A1 jeff giordano ) (08/26/88)

Does anyone know the release date for st minix?

INET: jeff@polyof.poly.edu    or    jeff@128.238.10.100
UUCP: ...iguana!polyof!jeff   or    ...trixie!polyof!jeff

LTJONES%UALR.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (09/02/88)

i saw a query from Jiff Giordano <jeff@POLYOF.UUCP> about the release
date of ST MINIX.  being new to MINIX-L and also an owner of a ST
i was much interested in this possibility.  is this for real??
can anyone give me more info?

lon jones
bitnet: ltjones@UALR

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/04/88)

In article <3950@louie.udel.EDU> LTJONES%UALR.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>i saw a query from Jiff Giordano <jeff@POLYOF.UUCP> about the release
>date of ST MINIX.  being new to MINIX-L and also an owner of a ST
>i was much interested in this possibility.  is this for real??

Yes, MINIX for the ST is definitely real.  I have even received a production
copy of its little manual from P-H.  I am going off to the U.K. for a week, but
when I get back, I will check with P-H about availability date and make up an
announcement.  It should be ready pretty soon I think.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

VILJANEN%CC.HELSINKI.FI@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen) (09/07/88)

I have a question about ST Minix. How much of this posted PC Minix
stuff will be useful to the ST Minix owner? The 1.2 to 1.3 diffs?
The networking stuff? Kernel changes? I fear answer will be NO, NO
and NO. But I'd really like to know which programs posted are
machine dependant and which will run in any Minix system.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen         ____     University of Helsinki, Finland
VILJANEN@FINUHA.BITNET     \  / . '     Dept. of Computer Science
ladybug@clinet.UUCP         \/  |_      'Small is beautiful'

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
P.S Use the BITNET address if you have choice.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/10/88)

In article <3973@louie.udel.EDU> VILJANEN%CC.HELSINKI.FI@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen) writes:

>I have a question about ST Minix. How much of this posted PC Minix
>stuff will be useful to the ST Minix owner? The 1.2 to 1.3 diffs?
>The networking stuff? Kernel changes? I fear answer will be NO, NO
>and NO.

The ST kernel and the PC kernel are so different that I doubt that much
in the way of kernel patches will be applicable, except perhaps some
bug fixes to machine-independent files.  The MINIX-PC 1.3 file system and
memory manager are essentially the same as MINIX-ST 1.1, so I would certainly
save all changes there.  Nearly all changes to other files are probably
applicable, although some may already be there.

As to networking, the Amoeba code is almost completely machine and network
independent.  If you can plug a Western Digital Ethernet card into your ST,
I don't think you will have to change all that much.  For other network types,
you will have to change some things, at the least, the device driver part.

I just got back from England today.  I'll try to find out about the status of
MINIX-ST next week.  When I know something definite, I'll post it.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

burgett@steel.COM (Michael Burgett) (09/14/88)

Hello, I am getting ready to attempt a port of minix to a (non-ST or Amiga)
machine and could use the sources to the kernel that have been rewritten for
the 68K... I have an early version of the IBMPC sources (1.1) that I bought
when the system first came out, and since I don't own a ST (and as such
can't read the disks...) don't really want to re-buy the disks... Is there
any way I can get these sources e-mailed to me? or pick them up via usenet?

Thanks... Mike Burgett

		adobe!burgett@decwrl.dec.com

	"Squid and Red Bean Stew served daily...."

bww@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Brian Woodroffe) (09/20/88)

Minix for the Atari-ST must be becomming available *real* soon.
I made an enquiry of P-H (the seem to call themselves Simon Schuster
now; or at least that is what the headed note paper said) to find
out about Minix before I had found this net.  Anyway, included
(5-sep-88) was a flyer that stated:-

  ".... [Minix] was originally available only on the IBM PC. MINIX
has now been ported to the Atari ST and MegatST.  It comes thoroughly
tested and ready to use.  ....."

It did not quote a price, but I guess it will be similar to the PC
price - 98.38 pounds sterling; and that with an exchange rate of $1.70
to the pound!  One wonders if it is possible to order Minix from the
USA?  If so where from?

Another few things I would like to know are:-
  (i)  What have been the improvements between releases 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3?
  (ii) Noticing all the machines that Minix does NOT run on; does it
       require an XT keyboard, or does it configure itself to use aither
       the XT or AT?  - ie does it run straight off the floppies or are
       some patches/re-compiles needed?

Regards,
Brian Woodroffe

at  Hewlett-Packard, South Queensferry, West Lothian, Scotland.
    +44 31-331-1000
bww%hpqtdla@hplabs.HP.COM

jeff@polyof.UUCP (A1 jeff giordano ) (10/18/88)

[hey Mr Line Eater, try to snort this line!!!]

I have a 1040st color system, BMS SCSI board, and a seagate ST506 hard disk.
Does any one know if ST MINIX will work with the BMS board?

Please E-mail replies, I will post a summary.

Geoffrey Giordano
Student at the hell that is known as Polytechnic.
INET: jeff@polyof.poly.edu
UUCP: ...!trixie!polyof!jeff

jeff@polyof.UUCP (A1 jeff giordano ) (10/25/88)

[Mr Line Eater, try to snort this line]

A week or so back I posted a question asking if the BMS hard disk
board would work with ST-MINIX. I got two replies, both have good news,
they are as follows: (edited of course)

>From Vance Chin of Berkley Microsystems:
>        We have not tried Minix ST with the BMS-100.  Our board emulates
>the SH204 hard drive host adapter so it should work.
>        The only thing I'm wondering about is if Minix has it's own formatter
>or if it just uses the format the ST uses.
>
>Vance Chin @ Berkeley Microsystems

>From Gerry Wheeler
>Yes, it works fine.  I'm using a 520 with 1 meg, colour monitor, BMS
>controller with two ST225 drives.  As supplied, MINIX knows about 1 SCSI
>controller with one drive having up to four partitions.  However, by
>altering a couple of constants and recompiling it will handle up to
>eight controllers with two drives each.
>
>At the moment, I have four partitions on my first drive -- 2 meg for
>GEM's C: drive (for accessories, etc.), 1 meg for GEM's D: drive, 1 meg
>for MINIX root file system, and 16 meg for MINIX working.  My other disk
>has two partitions for GEM.  By installing disk icons for only drives C,
>D, G, and H, I can prevent GEM from writing on the MINIX partitions.
>
>MINIX does not have any 16 meg limit on partition sizes, but the BMS
>software won't create a partition larger than that.  However, one of
>MINIX's devices references the entire (unpartitioned) disk, so I think
>I'll make the changes to MINIX, and then dedicate my whole second drive
>to it.
> --
>     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
>Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels
>   35 King St. North                             BIX: join mks
>Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9                  CompuServe: 73260,1043

Vance and Gerry:  Thank you very much for your input.

Geoffrey Giordano
INET: jeff@polyof.poly.edu
UUCP: ...trixie!polyof!jeff

Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.
Line counter fodder.

meulenbr@cst.UUCP (Frans Meulenbroeks) (10/26/88)

I also can confirm that Minix/ST runs in combination with the BMS-100
controller.

However, I'd like to access the clock from the BMS-100 from within Minix.
Does anyone have such a program, (or source from a TOS program)
or can anyone supply info about how to achieve this?

Many thanks!
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

geordi@acrux.la.locus.com (George T. Sinclair III/100000000) (11/08/90)

I need to know how to make my ST running minix, swith to/from
25line/50line mode.
And I am looking for the source to bash, the binary I pulled
down a while ago, core dumps.
thanks

George T Sinclair III                     |
Locus Computer Corp                       |      Internet:  geordi@locus.com
9800 La Cienega Blvd                      |                sindair@ucs.orst.edu
Inglewood, CA 90301-4440                  |