[comp.os.minix] rs232 and getty

franco@pembina.cs.UAlberta.CA (Franco Carlacci) (11/17/90)

Well, I just got my copy of minix 1.5 for IBM PC for PH. I got it
going on my zeos 386 without  any problems. Well.... one problem. I can't
seem to get the getty to work. I can hang a terminal off my serial
port ( /dev/tty2) I can use kermit and term to call out, but, I can't
get getty to service that device.
    I recompiled getty.c so that it would wait for DCD. ( That's one
of two options: there other is to simply ignore it. I'll say more
about that later). All this does is cause getty to sit in a an endless
loop, waiting for a DCD that never comes even though my modem tells me
that it is there. Using the other method leads to other unpleasantries.
I tried using a breakout box to make sure that DCD was being asserted.
That didn't change things.
   My question is:  what, if anything, am I doing wrong? This is my
first crack at being an administrator for a unix box, so I imagine
that I've left something out. Maybe my /etc/gettydefs file is set up
incorrectly. Anyone have one that I can look at? I'd really like to
get this going, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

franco ( franco@cs.ualberta.ca)

--
 Franco Carlacci               | " I always have to postpone what I WANT
 VOX: (403)492-2428 / 432-1570 |   to do for what I HAVE to do! "

waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred van Kempen) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov17.010425.13537@cs.UAlberta.CA>, franco@pembina.cs.UAlberta.CA (Franco Carlacci) wrote:
>     I recompiled getty.c so that it would wait for DCD. ( That's one
> of two options: there other is to simply ignore it. I'll say more
> about that later). All this does is cause getty to sit in a an endless
> loop, waiting for a DCD that never comes even though my modem tells me
Yes, because the standard MINIX kernel ("P-H") does not support the DCD and DTR
lines properly.  Use the "CHOICE_B" option.

>    My question is:  what, if anything, am I doing wrong? This is my
> first crack at being an administrator for a unix box, so I imagine
> that I've left something out. Maybe my /etc/gettydefs file is set up
> incorrectly. Anyone have one that I can look at? I'd really like to
> get this going, so any help would be much appreciated.

1.  Read the posting about INIT/GETTY by me, from a couple of days ago.
2.  See above.

Fred.
| MINIX User Group Holland  UUCP: waltje@minixug.mugnet.org     |
| c/o Fred van Kempen,      or: waltje%minixug@plains.nodak.edu |
| Hoefbladhof  27                                               |
| 2215 DV  VOORHOUT         "Love is - what you want it to be.  |
| The Netherlands                               Alannah Myles"  |