[comp.os.minix] That Crash Thing And Bruce's Speed Enhancing Fix

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (11/28/90)

Well, I made the change back to the pre-Bruce's-5-line-fix so that my
386/33 seems like an XT when running multiple processes.  And it just
crashed again.  So, I guess it's not Bruce's fault after all.  :-)

Has anyone else had any crashing problems?  I'm not even sure if it's
disk activity related anymore.  Here is my current system (but the crashes
happened also when I was in 16-bit mode on my 386):

Even's Minix 386 1.5.10
Irlam's Virtual Console, 4 consoles
*no* Estdio (yet)
Miscellaneous patches indiscriminently added off the Net.

I should probably be more selective about which patches I install.  I was
wanting Estdio, 386, floating point, screen blanker, X-windows, virtual
memory, transparent distributed processing, virtual reality processors,
faster than light travel, 42, etc.  If I can't resolve this I'll go back
to vanilla 1.5.10 and start over with Evan's 386 and Virtual consoles.
(After getting Vcon, I don't understand how I got along without them it.)

And is Estdio as fantastic as I remember the description being?

--
"Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"
"Honest." -- Robert M. Pirsig, _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence_.

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca	CompuServe: 72401,3525

tgcpwd@rwc.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (11/28/90)

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>I was
>wanting Estdio, 386, floating point, screen blanker, X-windows, virtual
>memory, transparent distributed processing, virtual reality processors,
>faster than light travel, 42, etc.

I now have Estdio, virtual consoles, screenblanker, faster than
light (on a 10MHz 8088XT) :-), and even etc (uucp, news, mail, spread
sheet, crc/ccrc, shutdown and more).1

>And is Estdio as fantastic as I remember the description being?

It is on a 10MHz 8088 XT :-).

Hoping to have given posters, upgraders and others some courage to go
on. I'm still impressed with all the new things possible on a system
like mine.

BTW. I have no 386 yet, so I have no idea about Waynes problems. I hope
somebody else can help him.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst
Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

PPH93%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Thomas Heller) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.215812.10010@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, Wayne Hayes
<wayne@CSRI.TORONTO.EDU> says:

>Well, I made the change back to the pre-Bruce's-5-line-fix so that my
>386/33 seems like an XT when running multiple processes.  And it just
>crashed again.  So, I guess it's not Bruce's fault after all.  :-)
>
>Has anyone else had any crashing problems?  I'm not even sure if it's
>disk activity related anymore.  Here is my current system (but the crashes
>happened also when I was in 16-bit mode on my 386):
>
>Even's Minix 386 1.5.10
>Irlam's Virtual Console, 4 consoles
>*no* Estdio (yet)
>Miscellaneous patches indiscriminently added off the Net.
>

>Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525

Well, I'm not sure if you speak of these problems named something like
'timing problem with at_wini and WD1006' RLL disk controller.
If yes:
Yes, I also have problems that the system hangs from time to time, mostly with
the disk light on.
To my experience, it's related to the system speed (crashes are much less likel
y at slower clock speed, they ocurred very often when reading/writing data in
large chunks (I think)).

My Configuration:
IT 386sx motherboard (IT = InformTech), 16 MHz, switchable to 8 MHz.
WD1006SR-2 Controller with 2 Disks (Minixscribe (?) HH1060 and seagate ST???
(62MB)
Bruce's 386 Patches installed, also virtual consoles (2 enabled).
No estdio(yet)
I didnot install any other patches to the system (KERNEL, MM, FS, INIT)
Booting with shoelace.

Thomas Heller
<pph93@dmswwu1a>