[comp.os.minix] Do Minix 1.5 support Symbolic link ?

jing@NECAM.tdd.sj.nec.com (Jing Leung) (11/29/90)

Can someone tell me whether Minix 1.5 supports symbolic link or not ?
Thanks.

n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Jeff Wandling) (11/29/90)

jing@NECAM.tdd.sj.nec.com (Jing Leung) writes:

>Can someone tell me whether Minix 1.5 supports symbolic link or not ?
>Thanks.

As far as I know, the answer is no. The final project for my operating
systems class is to implement symbolic links for Minix 1.5 on a 386-SX.

--
jeff wandling | western washington university | inet: jeff@arthur.cs.wwu.edu
cs ugrad      | bellingham, wa 98225 USA      |  n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (11/29/90)

In <1990Nov28.221626.23166@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Jeff Wandling) writes:

>jing@NECAM.tdd.sj.nec.com (Jing Leung) writes:

>>Can someone tell me whether Minix 1.5 supports symbolic link or not ?
>>Thanks.

>As far as I know, the answer is no. The final project for my operating
>systems class is to implement symbolic links for Minix 1.5 on a 386-SX.

There are at least three patch kits for symbolic links:

1. Ken Stailey's
2. From Finland (I think)
3. Mine

Ken's might be on the plains server.

Mine were in beta test... and I was planning to post... but I went on vacation
then my machine is being upgraded... but now it seems prudent to synchronise
with the next major patch kit (1.6?) for Minix before posting.

My patch kit also includes directory caching and inode caching. Bruce says it
doesn't help much with 1.5.10 but seems to be more useful with 1.6. I also
included conditional links to make life easier for 16/32 bit modes.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.221626.23166@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Jeff Wandling) writes:
>jing@NECAM.tdd.sj.nec.com (Jing Leung) writes:
>
>>Can someone tell me whether Minix 1.5 supports symbolic link or not ?
>>Thanks.
>
>As far as I know, the answer is no. The final project for my operating
>systems class is to implement symbolic links for Minix 1.5 on a 386-SX.

	There was a package sent out for "referee testing" for symbolic links
under Minix.  Whether or not it was ever released to the net, I don't know.
IMHO, when someone submits something to the referees for testing, if they do
not receive some acknowledgement within a reasonable period of time, they should
just release it to the net (with perhaps a caveat....:-) )

--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (11/30/90)

,,out of the box'' MINIX does not have symbolic links, but someone has
hacked this in, such postings exist.
C.v.W.