[comp.os.minix] >Dumb Questions -- IBM Minix

u31b3hs@cip-s07.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) (12/04/90)

Hello world!

In "Dumb Questions -- IBM Minix" Steve Belczyk writes:

>-- The Minix information sheet mentions that the IBM Minix supports
>   up to three simultaneous users.  Is there any way to add two more,
>   on COM3 and COM4?

I had the same problem some time ago.  My serial card has a jumper
for setting COM3 to IRQ5.  It is the only free interrupt from the
first interrupt controler in AT and 386 machines.  I added driver
routines to the kernel, which are nearly exact copies of the routines
for COM1 and COM2.  You must extend a table of port adresses and setup
the interrupt in kernel initialisation.

All patches are easy to find, just extend the code for COM1 and COM2.
COM4 is a little bit more difficult, because you have to use a free
interrupt from the second controler for it.  I don't know which patches
are required for COM4, sorry.

I can't make diffs to the PH kernel, because I hacked the PH kernel with
Gordon Irlam's virtual console upgrade.  If you want to use this patches,
you also have to fix a bug in login.c and ps.c.

Michael Haardt

email: u31b3hs%cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de@unido.bitnet
Please do not use the adress from the Header.