[comp.os.minix] GCC for MacMinix

deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steven Furber) (11/05/90)

I got a hold of the ST-Minix binaries for GCC, since the 68k Minixes are
said to be binary compatible.  When I finally got everything downloaded,
untar'd, and ready to run-- I was a bit depressed with the outcome.

It does not appear that GCC compiled for ST-Minix will work for MacMinix, as I
was told it was.

I have a copy of the diffs needed to get Minix to compiled for the ST, but I
don't have a copy of gcc.1.36*, all I can find is gcc.1.37*.

If someone has had any luck, please let me know.

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (11/05/90)

deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steven Furber) writes:

>I got a hold of the ST-Minix binaries for GCC, since the 68k Minixes are
>said to be binary compatible.  When I finally got everything downloaded,
>untar'd, and ready to run-- I was a bit depressed with the outcome.

>It does not appear that GCC compiled for ST-Minix will work for MacMinix, as I
>was told it was.

>I have a copy of the diffs needed to get Minix to compiled for the ST, but I
>don't have a copy of gcc.1.36*, all I can find is gcc.1.37*.

>If someone has had any luck, please let me know.

MACMINIX and ST-MINIX are binary compatable (in fact, ST-MINIX elle and
MACMINIX elle are the same binary), so it is PROBABLY something else.
This however, does not mean every binary will work, and be especially
cautious if it was compiled for a different version of the OS.
Things to check:
	1) each part of the compiler has enough men (see the chmem man page)
	2) all the files are in the right place (use gcc -v file.c to see as
   	   gcc tries to execute each pass, and see which it fails on)
Many UNIX programs don't ever expect to run out of memory, and don't
handle it very well when they do, so it is always a concern when running
new software under MINIX. (This is not a problem with most of the GNU stuff
that I have used).

Joe Pickert

ladd@cbnewsc.att.com (david.ladd) (11/06/90)

In article <539@pdxgate.UUCP>, deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steven Furber) writes:
> It does not appear that GCC compiled for ST-Minix will work for MacMinix, as I
> was told it was.
>
> I have a copy of the diffs needed to get Minix to compiled for the ST, but I
> don't have a copy of gcc.1.36*, all I can find is gcc.1.37*.

Au Contraire, Mon Frere

I responded privately to the last poster who had problems, but
it looks like everyone wants to run gcc, so here goes...

Before I get too carried away here, please note that I've only
really compiled and run "hello world", but it did work.

- get gccbin.tar.Z, gcclib.tar.Z include.tar.Z from
	terminator.cc.umich.edu (remember binary mode)
        ^--- actually, this has a better name on the latest minix info sheet

- read them into minix, i.e.
	macread gccbin.tar.Z | uncompress | tar xvf -

- install gcc in your path, and the compiler binaries (gcc-*)
  and libraries (*.[ao] from the gcclib archive)
	in /usr/local/lib

- install the gnu headers in /usr/local/gcc/include

- compile and run a test program...

- get mg.tar.Z, apply the gnu diffs, run make, watch the machine hang...

I'm still working on that last item.  Anyway, I'm using a 5 meg mac II,
system 6.0.5, the SADE version of MF, and running minix out of a 2500K
MF partition. I'll screw around with the memory sizing.

- as for sources, according to the readmes, they're in zoo fmt in
	the native atari ftp dirs.

Now, my questions for the net....

 - what do you have to do to get ps to run? re-build the kernel,mm & fs?
	(maybe this will be easier with readable headers :-) )
 - I did try term -s 2400 -l /dev/tty2, but it didn't really work.
	Do I need to do some kind of flow-control stty for the
	serial port?  I was loosing characters badly..  kermit
	had similar probs...

-Dave Ladd (dal@iwtgo.ATT.COM)

John_Thomas_Moylan@cup.portal.com (11/07/90)

should work, not to mention it seems that most problems(other than with manua
typos) is that people seem to make small mistakes that they never catch
(maybe big ones as well, depending on your point of view)

terminator is a fine name...

John

JohnM@UMDE.DBRN.UMICH.EDU

h9by@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/05/90)

I just downloaded the binaries for gcc (gcc, gcc-ar, gcc-as, gcc-ld, gcc-nm,
gcc-cc1, gcc-cpp) and the libraries (libc.a, et al).  When I compiled a simple
program it did not work (said I had a missing __main()--double underscore).  So
I stuck in a _main() that just called my main().  Then it would run and not
exit so I stuck an explicit exit() in my _main().  Now everything ran.

Until...I made explicit references to stderr, stdin, and stdout.  Then gcc told
me that my _iob[] is not found anywhere.  Am I missing a lib or startup object
file?  Why am I having so many problems?

I have head.o, crtso.o, wioclt.o, and _fakfls.o.  They don't make any
difference (in fact they produce more unsupported references).

BTW, I am using Bammi's ST version of gcc on my MacMinix.  I just downloaded
the binaries and ran and it seemed to work.  I am so close now that I know I
must be 1) doing something wrong,
       2) missing a file.

Thanks for the help.

--Tanvir Hassan (h9by@vax5.cit.cornell.edu OR tanvir@oak.cadif.cornell.edu)