[net.unix-wizards] 4.2bsd system manual

gwyn@Brl@sri-unix (09/17/82)

From:     Doug Gwyn <gwyn@Brl>
Date:     14 Sep 82 0:18:25-EDT (Tue)
I've read the 4.2bsd system manual.  It does look nice, even better than
old-fashioned UNIX.  However, the manual describes where UCB wants to go,
not where they've been.  I wonder how they're going to get from here to
there.

Of course System III is obsolete, unless you have to worry about
compatibility or unless you need a standard UNIX licensed at an
attractive cost.  I personally would love to hear how 5.0 differs from 3.0,
in order to have an idea of the direction USG Unix is going...
I would prefer some facts rather than raves, since the 3.0 previews
were frequently off-base!