[comp.os.minix] ST Minix with Supra hard drive

Pat_Barron@transarc.com (12/01/90)

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to make Minix on the Atari ST talk
to my Supra hard drive?  The Supra seems to take over my system in a pretty
big way, and completely disallows booting from a floppy with an executable
boot sector (like the Minix boot floppy....).  Creating a MINIX.IMG file
from the boot floppy and using MINIX.PRG to load it will let Minix boot,
but then I immediately get a "Kernel panic: got message from task -1" and
"Press RESET".

Any hints would be appreciated greatly.....

--Pat.

Pat_Barron@transarc.com (12/04/90)

Well, I've solved part of my own problem - the part about not being able
to boot Minix from floppy.  It turns out that, once you boot from the
hard disk, I guess the SUPBOOT.SYS program rewires the RESET interrupt vector,
and pressing the reset button no longer causes the "normal" thing to occur.
I can boot Minix just fine from floppy if I power-cycle the machine first.

I still can not get Minix to actually boot up completely, though - the 10.BOOT
disk boots, sometimes prints the Minix banner message, and immediately gives
"Kernel Panic: disk task got message from -1" (I messed up the wording of
the error message in my previous message).  Someone suggested applying a patch
that The Minix Centre was distributing for ST Minix and the Supra hard drive,
but I've looked at my sources, and the patch is already installed.  This, BTW,
is ST Minix version 1.1.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Pat.

UNM409%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Volker A. Brandt) (12/07/90)

Pat Barron writes:

>Well, I've solved part of my own problem - the part about not being able
>to boot Minix from floppy.  It turns out that, once you boot from the
>hard disk, I guess the SUPBOOT.SYS program rewires the RESET interrupt vector,
>and pressing the reset button no longer causes the "normal" thing to occur.
>I can boot Minix just fine from floppy if I power-cycle the machine first.

This is not the fault of your SUPBOOT program.  You see. there is a system
variable (a magic location where the ST keeps information) called _bootdev or
some such, where the ST saves the drive that the system last booted from AND
IT WILL BOOT FROM NEXT.  This is set to A: on cold boot and reset to C: when
booting from the hard disk partition C: succeeded.

There are two possible fixes for you:

 (a) Write a little program that sets this variable back to A:, then reset the
     machine.  You can even boot from RAM disks this way -- if they survive the
     reset.

 (b) Use any coldboot program (they are easy to write and float around), OR
     press Control-Alt-RightShift-Del if you have TOS1.4.

>I still can not get Minix to actually boot up completely, though - the 10.BOOT
>disk boots, sometimes prints the Minix banner message, and immediately gives
>"Kernel Panic: disk task got message from -1" (I messed up the wording of
>the error message in my previous message).  Someone suggested applying a patch
>that The Minix Centre was distributing for ST Minix and the Supra hard drive,
>but I've looked at my sources, and the patch is already installed.  This, BTW,
>is ST Minix version 1.1.

This sounds strange.  My ICD host adapter + Fujitsu SCSI drive work fine.  I
sometimes get a Memory Manager panic which is probably due to having exactly
4 MB RAM free.

Hope this helps some.

Bitnet:  UNM409@DBNRHRZ1                              Volker A. Brandt
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNRHRZ1.bitnet!unm409             Angewandte Mathematik
ARPAnet: UNM409%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU       (Bonn, West Germany)