[comp.os.minix] MacMinix problems, cron and lpr

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (12/03/90)

I received my MacMinix last Friday and got it working ok. The ten easy steps
posted on the net were very useful, so I had very few problems. I did however
have problems with cron and lpr.

cron appears to work ok when started from a root login, but when I inserted it
into the rc script I had a system crash some five minutes after booting. This
was preceeded by some regular (once per second) disk access on my internal
floppy drive (/dev/fd0) although there was no disk inserted in the drive.

lpr, and other methods of printing (eg: cat file > /dev/lp) prints out on my
Imagewriter II ok, except that it seems to print about a page and a half, and
then throw a new page. My guess is that the Imagewriter is throwing the page
automatically, and not MacMinix. If so, then how do I disable the page throws?

Has anybody else had these problems? BTW: where is "mdb"? The manual says that
it is a 68000 debugger, but I cannot find it anywhere on MacMinix. Thanks in
advance.

Paul Wood           | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   |
31 Buttermere Drive | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |
Dronfield Woodhouse | Voice:      +44 246 214256      |
Sheffield           | FAX:        +44 246 214353      |
England S18 5PX     | Postline:   5403 4256           |

ramsey@rbdc (Ramsey Dow) (12/06/90)

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) writes:

>I received my MacMinix last Friday and got it working ok. The ten easy steps
>posted on the net were very useful[...].

Could someone please repost this list of ten easy steps for setting up
MacMinix?  Moreover, could some MacMinix folk send me a mail or two
describing their thoughts on MacMinix, etc.?  I am seriously considering
purchasing MacMinix and would like to obtain all info regarding installs,
thoughts, etc.  Thanks.
--
    "My damnable, reddening vision     | Ramsey Dow, starving undergraduate
 That build a new world for my seeing; |

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (12/09/90)

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) writes:

>cron appears to work ok when started from a root login, but when I inserted it
>into the rc script I had a system crash some five minutes after booting. This
>was preceeded by some regular (once per second) disk access on my internal
>floppy drive (/dev/fd0) although there was no disk inserted in the drive.

Cron has some problems that are universal to the 68K versions I think.
There have been a couple of posted fixes.

>lpr, and other methods of printing (eg: cat file > /dev/lp) prints out on my
>Imagewriter II ok, except that it seems to print about a page and a half, and
>then throw a new page. My guess is that the Imagewriter is throwing the page
>automatically, and not MacMinix. If so, then how do I disable the page throws?

The line printer driver stores up a page at a time, and printing 1.5 pages
will result in only one page being printed.  Use pr(1) which pads the file
to a multiple of a page when printing (e.g., pr file | lpr).

Joe Pickert