[comp.os.minix] Dumb Questions -- IBM Minix

seb3@GTE.COM (Steve Belczyk) (12/04/90)

Hi there!  I have a few dumb questions about Minix for the IBM:

-- The Minix information sheet mentions that the IBM Minix supports
   up to three simultaneous users.  Is there any way to add two more,
   on COM3 and COM4?

-- The information sheet also makes no mention of VGA.  Will I be able
   to use Minix with a VGA card?

-- How difficult is it to get UUCP and News running under Minix?

-- The machine I'm considering is a Gateway 2000 386/25 with an IDE
   drive.  I would love to hear from anyone who has used Minix on such
   a machine.

Thank you very much.

Steve Belczyk   CIS: 75126,515    BBS: +1 508 664-0149 (2400 bps)
seb3@gte.com    GEnie: sbelczyk   UUCP: {harvard,vaxine}!bunny!seb3

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (12/04/90)

In <10150@bunny.GTE.COM> seb3@GTE.COM (Steve Belczyk) writes:

>Hi there!  I have a few dumb questions about Minix for the IBM:

>-- The Minix information sheet mentions that the IBM Minix supports
>   up to three simultaneous users.  Is there any way to add two more,
>   on COM3 and COM4?

Not really.  There aren't enough interrupt request lines available
in a PC to let COM3 and COM4 have their own interrupts, so they
have to share interrupts with COM1 and COM2.  It would be quite
a challenge to change the rs232 driver to handle shared interrupt
lines, and the additional interrupt service overhead would eat
up even more CPU cycles than it does now :-(

It would be a much better idea to get a smart multi-port rs232 adapter
card and try to either 1) find a driver for it or 2) write a driver
if you really want to support four or five users.

>-- The information sheet also makes no mention of VGA.  Will I be able
>   to use Minix with a VGA card?

Mine works! :-)

>-- How difficult is it to get UUCP and News running under Minix?

It's not very difficult.  I had uucp and mail running in a couple
hour's time.

--
Guy Helmer                           helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.151849.28931@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>In <10150@bunny.GTE.COM> seb3@GTE.COM (Steve Belczyk) writes:
>

>>   [..] Is there any way to add two more, on COM3 and COM4?
>
>Not really. [..] It would be quite a challenge to change the rs232 driver
>to handle shared interrupt lines, and the additional interrupt service
>overhead would eat up even more CPU cycles than it does now :-(

Sorry Guy, but I think it would be much less of a deal than you indicate.
All the rs232 driver needs to do is read two IIR (interrupt identification
registers) instead of one.

Both IIRs may indicate an interrupt pending, in which case you receive
(or transmit) two characters for the price of one interrupt.
Is that really so terrible?

Worst valid case is when the interrupt was not posted by the first IIR read.
The second is read instead, and a different tty minor number is used to move
a character (or begin moving a buffer-full). I'm not convinced that an
unacceptable amount of byte shoveling is needed to read a second IIR and
stuff a byte (or yank a byte) from the appropriate tty_nr->buffer.

Worst case is when neither IIR shows a pending interrupt. The cost of
supporting the shared interrupt was the (small) time required to read the
second IIR.

Thoughts anyone? (or am I about to be flamed?)
--
--==---==---==--
Mome: Short for _from home_ - meaning you've lost your way

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (12/05/90)

In <7668@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) writes:

>In article <1990Dec4.151849.28931@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>>In <10150@bunny.GTE.COM> seb3@GTE.COM (Steve Belczyk) writes:
>>

>>>   [..] Is there any way to add two more, on COM3 and COM4?
>>
>>Not really. [..] It would be quite a challenge to change the rs232 driver
>>to handle shared interrupt lines, and the additional interrupt service
>>overhead would eat up even more CPU cycles than it does now :-(

>Sorry Guy, but I think it would be much less of a deal than you indicate.
>All the rs232 driver needs to do is read two IIR (interrupt identification
>registers) instead of one.

Yes, that's right.  I goofed, since I never bothered to think about
how to actually handle a shared interrupt configuration.

--

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/06/90)

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>Not really.  There aren't enough interrupt request lines available
>in a PC to let COM3 and COM4 have their own interrupts, so they
>have to share interrupts with COM1 and COM2.  It would be quite
>a challenge to change the rs232 driver to handle shared interrupt
>lines, and the additional interrupt service overhead would eat
>up even more CPU cycles than it does now :-(

Not really.  You could set up the RS-232 driver to follow the COM1-COM4
conventions of the PS/2.  They are as follows:

          Base
Name     Address    IRQ
-----------------------
COM1      0x3f8      4
COM2      0x2f8      3
COM3      0x3e8      5
COM4      0x2e8      2

The only problem with that is you have to steal IRQ 5 from one of your
parallel ports (if you have more than one) and give it to COM3.  If you have a
bus mouse or 8-bit networking adaptor, that usually uses IRQ 2, so you'll have
to steal IRQ 2 from that device.

>It would be a much better idea to get a smart multi-port rs232 adapter
>card and try to either 1) find a driver for it or 2) write a driver
>if you really want to support four or five users.
>hour's time.

Or modify the FAS driver to work under Minix.  I don't know if it will perform
as well giving you the 38.4K baud with hardware handshaking under Minix.
Anyone who has an AST 4 Port AT/Plus may want to try it.  The driver as is
works with that board so minimal modification would have to be done to
get it to work under Minix.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (12/07/90)

In article <6113@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>Not really.  You could set up the RS-232 driver to follow the COM1-COM4
>conventions of the PS/2.  They are as follows:
>
>          Base
>Name     Address    IRQ
>-----------------------
>COM1      0x3f8      4
>COM2      0x2f8      3
>COM3      0x3e8      5
>COM4      0x2e8      2

The IBM PS/2 Model 60 I worked with, had two standard RS232 channels. The first
one used IRQ 4, the second one IRQ 3. I had an extra micro-channel card with
one RS232 channel. It also used IRQ 3 (interrupt sharing is standard on the
micro-channel as it uses level sensitive interrupts). The documentation stated
that all additional IBM RS232 channels use IRQ 3.

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Centre Aachen

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/10/90)

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) writes:
>The IBM PS/2 Model 60 I worked with, had two standard RS232 channels. The first
>one used IRQ 4, the second one IRQ 3. I had an extra micro-channel card with
>one RS232 channel. It also used IRQ 3 (interrupt sharing is standard on the
>micro-channel as it uses level sensitive interrupts). The documentation stated
>that all additional IBM RS232 channels use IRQ 3.

My information on the PS/2 conventions is second hand knowledge.  It was given
to me via an article on adding COM3 and COM4 to SCO Xenix.  This may apply to
only the ISA PS/2 models, in which case it would apply to Minix since there is
no MCA support for Minix (or was that added under my nose?  :)  ).

     // JCA

 /*