[comp.os.minix] 386 version of c68 planned

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (12/09/90)

I plan to add modules to c68 to get a 386 C-compiler.

It will be 32-bit ints only.

Since many other guys told me they planned exactly that, will they please
make progress reports ( I heard nothing ).

I will post it (if it succeeds) with a simple-minded code generator, no
register variables ( even the full version cannot support more than two,
in edi and esi), and a subminimal peephole optimizer.

The netlanders can improve it later.

HANDICAPS:
I do not like INTEL chips very much and I have no literature about this, but
I have access to a Sun386i workstation with 386 processor, the Sun C-compiler
and the GCC1.37 C compiler for the 386 as a reference.
I would rather make a compiler for the T800 or some RISC chip, but I have no
machine to play with.

Since the 386 evolve to be the second platform for "real" MINIX (besides
680X0, of course), it may be a worthy project.

I intend to start the ball rolling and make you work on it, too.
I expect more resonance than for c68, which is accepted by few people since
it cannot win against ACK on its home turf.

C.v.W.

agm@stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter) (12/10/90)

In the referenced article HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) writes:
>I plan to add modules to c68 to get a 386 C-compiler.
>It will be 32-bit ints only.

Brilliant!  I'm dying to have a C compiler with full source that I can mess
about with.  I wonder how it will compare with BCC, I don't have any idea
what BCC is based on.  GCC is quite nice, but it's so huge and slow.

Andrew