[comp.os.minix] Can't build minix-386 with more than 55 buffers

jolley@phcoms.seri.philips.nl (Graham Jolley) (12/12/90)

I am having a problem building minix-386 with more than
about 55 buffers. I remember a posting that said this
was due to a problem with the 16bit build silently
clobbering one or more 32bit values. The thing is I'm
getting this problem even though I am now using a 32bit
build ie I am building a new kernel while running minix-386.

I am using the 'normal' build procedure NOT shoelace.
I notice that one of the bss sections is at 64K when
the problem occurs. Is this significant?

I apologise in advance if this question has already been
asked and replied to.

Does anybody have a copy of the 'db' code they could
send me - my 'db' seems to be a dummy? Also have there
been any new versions of bcc or the 386-kernel made
available, my versions are of uncertain origin. The
warning messages from the compiler about redefinitions
are a bit of a pain :-).

Finally like everybody else I think the Bruce Evans '386
extensions and bcc are very nice pieces of work. Thanks.

Graham Jolley

wkt@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey) (12/14/90)

In atricle <565@phcoms.seri.philips.nl>, (Graham Jolley) writes:

> I am having a problem building minix-386 with more than
> about 55 buffers.
> I am using the 'normal' build procedure NOT shoelace.

From memory (and Bruce will definitely know), you must make a 32-bit
version of build, and then build an image using it. Something in build
stops it from working as a 16-bit binary.

The procedure:

	Under 16-bit mode, make the 32-bit kernel with 30 buffers
	Boot the 32-bit kernel
	Compile build as a 32-bit binary
	Recompile the kernel using 300 :-) buffers
	Using the new build, build a new image (keep the old one!)
	Boot the new 32-bit kernel.

I have a 32-bit kernel using this method (and no Shoelace as yet), and
it works fine!

--
 Warren Toomey VK1XWT, about to Appdiff
Deep in the bowels of ADFA Comp Science.