[comp.os.minix] Anybody want 16-bit small model compress?

dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (DAVID A. FENYES) (12/10/90)

Hello,

I have a compress program that appears to have a MINIX background
that a programmer at Mark Williams modified to use a virtualizing scheme
to get 16-bit compression under Coherent, which like PC Minix uses
small model processes and system 7 calls.

The program is distributed with Coherent, is very clearly a modification
of the MINIX compress, and bears no copyright notice or company name
whatsoever, so I assume it is public domain.  It should be very easy
to convert for MINIX.  If anyone wants it, I'll post it.  If this is
nothing new, then never mind.  That's why I'm checking.

Bye,

David.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
David Fenyes                                  dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
University of Texas Medical School            Houston, Texas

mitchell (Bill Mitchell) (12/11/90)

In article <38594@nigel.ee.udel.edu> dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (DAVID A. FENYES) writes:

>The program is distributed with Coherent, is very clearly a modification
>of the MINIX compress, and bears no copyright notice or company name
>whatsoever, so I assume it is public domain.  It should be very easy
>to convert for MINIX.  If anyone wants it, I'll post it.  If this is
>nothing new, then never mind.  That's why I'm checking.

I'm interested.  PC minix not having 16 bit compress has been a problem
for me on several occasions, when I had to jump through hoops to get a
file compressed -b16 reconstituted.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

jms@cs.vu.nl (Jan-Mark) (12/11/90)

Bill Mitchell wrote:
> In article <38594@nigel.ee.udel.edu> dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (DAVID A. FENYES) writes:
> >
> >The program is distributed with Coherent, is very clearly a modification
> >of the MINIX compress, and bears no copyright notice or company name
> >whatsoever, so I assume it is public domain.  It should be very easy
> >to convert for MINIX.  If anyone wants it, I'll post it.  If this is
> >nothing new, then never mind.  That's why I'm checking.
> >

> I'm interested.  PC minix not having 16 bit compress has been a problem
> for me on several occasions, when I had to jump through hoops to get a
> file compressed -b16 reconstituted.
>
> --
> mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

	Why don't we all start using COMIC? It compresses better that
	compress (in general) and it will run in 64x64. I know there are
	a lot of ``.Z'' files around, but people are actually still
	using compress to compress (what's in a name ;-). I to am
	interested in 16 bit compress, but only to decompress. Please
	decompress and COMIC any ``.Z'' you can get your hands on.

	Please post 16 bit compress for PC-MINIX to this newsgroup.

	Regards Jan-Mark.
--

				 (:>	jms
				(_)

In article <8470@star.cs.vu.nl> jms@cs.vu.nl (Jan-Mark Wams) writes:

>	Why don't we all start using COMIC?

It's a chicken vs egg problem.  Improved compression programs intended
to produce compressed files for interchange aren't widely used because
they aren't widely used.  That is, someone who receives the compressed
file may not have the facility to decompress it.

Compress -b13 is widely used in the PC Minix community.
Compress -b16 is widely used in the rest of the Unix community.
Arc, zip, zoo, and (to a lesser extent) lzh are common in the MSDOS world.
Lzh is now available for Unix and Minix, but is not common.
Zip is available for some Unix systems, but is not common.

Not sensible, but the real world is often like that.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

UPSYF173%DBIUNI11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Wolfgang Thiel) (12/14/90)

Hi,