[comp.os.minix] MacMinix config.h NR_BUFS and NR_BUF_HASH options

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (12/13/90)

I have been remaking my kernel, fs, mm and macboot a lot recently. It takes
approx 75 minutes to remake everything on my MacPlus (4MB memory, 20MB harddisk)
so you don't get many remakes in an evening :-).

One of the areas I have been changing is in the NR_BUFS / NR_BUF_HASH options.
My results are as follows:
    NR_BUFS           30           60           120           320
    NR_BUF_HASH       32           64           128           512
                      ^            ^             ^             ^
                  original      boots OK      wouldn't      wouldn't
                  settings                    boot          boot

The options where minix wouldn't boot fail because "fs" could not be found.
"Late" last night I was playing around with the File/Configuration options and
discovered that by increasing the heap option from the default (200K) to 300K
I was able to use the NEWmacboot with the 120/128 options. Now I understand that
the heap option controls how much space is left available for the mac OS (eg:
desk accessories etc.), so I don't see why changing the heap allows the "fs" to
be found. Can someone explain?

Tonight I'll remake everything using the 320/512 options, play about with the
heap setting and keep my fingers crossed.

Paul Wood           | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   |
31 Buttermere Drive | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |
Dronfield Woodhouse | Voice:      +44 246 214256      |
Sheffield           | FAX:        +44 246 214353      |
England S18 5PX     | Postline:   5403 4256           |

frank@nyssa.uucp (Frank Gleason) (12/15/90)

In <1640@ukpoit.co.uk> paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) writes:

>I have been remaking my kernel, fs, mm and macboot a lot recently. It takes
>approx 75 minutes to remake everything on my MacPlus (4MB memory, 20MB harddisk)
>so you don't get many remakes in an evening :-).

>One of the areas I have been changing is in the NR_BUFS / NR_BUF_HASH options.
>My results are as follows:
>    NR_BUFS           30           60           120           320
>    NR_BUF_HASH       32           64           128           512
>                      ^            ^             ^             ^
>                  original      boots OK      wouldn't      wouldn't

>Paul Wood           | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   |
>31 Buttermere Drive | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |
>Dronfield Woodhouse | Voice:      +44 246 214256      |
>Sheffield           | FAX:        +44 246 214353      |
>England S18 5PX     | Postline:   5403 4256           |

I found that a heap size of 500k works for me (so I made it 512k just in case).
I still crash the first time I boot. After a few tries I found that if I let
the system come up and complain about not finding fs and then restart with
the mouse held down, change heap to 512k (turn off ram disk if you wish)
then hit OK the system comes up. You still have to go to File->Configuration
and change the heap again or it will not be there next time you start.

hope this helps.

fg