[comp.os.minix] Marvin Shell and Korn Shell

waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred van Kempen) (12/15/90)

In article <324@wiesje.hobby.nl>, baron@wiesje.hobby.nl (Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst) wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I would like to point out to you there are now several shells for Minix
> available.  In the newsgroup alt.sources, this afternoon the Public
> Domain version of the Korn Shell was posted.  It seems rather large,
> but someone might give it a try.
>
> Futhermore there is another new shell available, the Marvin Shell (this
> has as far as I know nothing to do with young Tanenbaum :-).  I ported
> this from some other Unix (BSD?) to Minix.  The Marvin Shell (msh) is
> one of the best of the annoying shells around.  Msh uses the ordinary
> shell for the execution of commands, but is in a way restricted (e.g.
> `cd' doesn't work) but for a fun shell it is very cute.

And even one more shell: the Extended Bourne Shell (xsh).
Some people at NLMUG are working on a restructured version of "our"
standard shell.  Currently, it includes command history, command
completion, command line editing, shell functions, improved prompt
handler, and such.  Also, lots of bugs were fixed (like redirecting
stdio from builitins).  Those people are now working on POSIXing the
new shell.

I am alpha-testing the features named above, and I'm impressed.  It
works like magic, is _fast_, and is not _that_ much larger (2.3Kb).

We will now do some work on a "#if HAVE_XXXX" feature switch in the
sources, to make all new things user-selectable.  Also, when that is
done, a "HAVE_RESTRICT" will be implemented, since some of us in
MINIX-land need a restricted shell :-)

I haven't seen the mentioned KornShell yet, but I have a version online
at "minixug" that was derived from the ancestor of the MINIX shell as
well.  It might be worth a shot to port the beast....

> Following is the relevant source.  After uudecoding, decompression,
> sh'ing and 'make' , you will have:
> 	marvin: the complaining programme
> 	msh: the shell
> 	complaints/*: the complaints
> Put marvin and msh in /usr/games and the complaints in /usr/games/complaints,
> or else change the marvin.h file for other directories.
>
> Then make msh the login shell of the person you want teased :-).  You
> can always of course give is a try yourself first.

Great!
$ mail
mail: who do you think you are to ask _me_ for any mail?
$ _

My sister (whom I am teaching the UNIX User Level with a terminal to
my "uwalt5" machine) had the fright of her life with the above :-)

Wim, thanks a lot for this fun-posting.  It belongs in /usr/games,
but it sure was worth the CPU cycles to compile it :-)

Fred.
| MINIX User Group Holland  UUCP: waltje@minixug.mugnet.org     |
| c/o Fred van Kempen,      or: waltje%minixug@plains.nodak.edu |
| Hoefbladhof  27                                               |
| 2215 DV  VOORHOUT         "Love is - what you want it to be.  |
| The Netherlands                               Alannah Myles"  |