[comp.os.minix] lharc for minix

mitchell (Bill Mitchell) (12/09/90)

Sources for lharc recently came floating by in another group.
For those not familiar with it, lharc is one of several common
tools for msdos to compress & archive files & directory trees.
It compresses smaller than unix/minix compress.

I've got it running on a sun, on msdos, and on pc_minix.

Is there interest in this?  Should I post the sources as modified
for pc_minix?  Should I send them somewhere to be looked at first?

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (12/10/90)

lharc was posted only recently in this group.
Please, announce your projects, I think there is too much work
done twice.

C.v.W.

michael@sunham.germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) (12/10/90)

Bill Mitchell writes:

>>Sources for lharc recently came floating by in another group.
>>For those not familiar with it, lharc is one of several common
>>tools for msdos to compress & archive files & directory trees.
>>It compresses smaller than unix/minix compress.

Not to mention Atari-ST, there it goes too (Slow but compact...)

>>I've got it running on a sun, on msdos, and on pc_minix.
>>
>>Is there interest in this?  Should I post the sources as modified
>>for pc_minix?  Should I send them somewhere to be looked at first?

Of course there is. This could be a very good replace for compress,
which works under Unix and Atari 16bit, but on PC only 13bit.
I (personally) would also be interested in the unix-source, if available.

>>--
>>mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

Ciao,
     Michael.

gchamby@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Greg Chamby) (12/12/90)

I too would be interested in portable source (MSDOS & Unix).
Must have missed it when it came by before. If it can be had via
bitftp so much the better.

youki@newmercury.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) (12/12/90)

Hi folks,

> I too would be interested in portable source (MSDOS & Unix).

Latest version of UNIX LHarc is available from utsun.u-tokyo.ac.jp via
anon-FTP. "~ftp/fj/lharc.1.02.tar.Z" is what you want.

There are many derivatives but its original author seems to know
nothing about that.

If you want more info, feel free to contact me.

        \\   //                 Youki "cookie" Kadobayashi
         \\ //                  youki@ics.osaka-u.ac.jp
          \//                   Dept. of Info. Comp. Sci.,
          //                    Osaka University, Japan
         //

gchamby@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Greg Chamby) (12/14/90)

Youki Kadobayashi writes:

>Latest version of UNIX LHarc is available from utsun.u-tokyo.ac.jp via
>anon-FTP. "~ftp/fj/lharc.1.02.tar.Z" is what you want.

>There are many derivatives but its original author seems to know
>nothing about that.

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if any U.S. FTP site would
have this? I'd be going through BITFTP and fear it would take
forever for the file to reach me if at all. Thanks again, Gregg.

youki@newmercury.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) (12/14/90)

OOPS, I missed it.

I wrote:
> Latest version of UNIX LHarc is available from utsun.u-tokyo.ac.jp via
> anon-FTP. "~ftp/fj/lharc.1.02.tar.Z" is what you want.

Sorry. Now the correct information.

	utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp [133.11.11.11]
              ^^ I missed this
	~ftp/fj/lharc.1.02.tar.Z

Enjoy.
        \\   //                 Youki "cookie" Kadobayashi
         \\ //                  youki@ics.osaka-u.ac.jp
          \//                   Dept. of Info. Comp. Sci.,
          //                    Osaka University, Japan
         //

rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (12/17/90)

>OOPS, I missed it.
>
>I wrote:
>> Latest version of UNIX LHarc is available from utsun.u-tokyo.ac.jp via
>> anon-FTP. "~ftp/fj/lharc.1.02.tar.Z" is what you want.
>
>Sorry. Now the correct information.
>
>	utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp [133.11.11.11]
>              ^^ I missed this
>	~ftp/fj/lharc.1.02.tar.Z

I just tried utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp...  It wasn't allowing 'anonymous' to log in.

Ray
rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com