[comp.os.minix] Experimental 386 Minix - Is It Coming Soon?

dwennick@polari.UUCP (don wennick) (12/14/90)

A couple of months ago, there were some postings announcing that a
version of Minix with demand paged memory was available, but there
was some problem with how to post (?) (if this sounds vague, it's
because I foolishly didn't save the announcement :-) If I had the message,
I'd email the author...

Is this coming any time soon, whether via archives or the net? This is
something I'd REALLY like to get ahold of, although I know it means
Yet Another Recompile.

Presumably it will also mean that existing 386 binaries won't be running
on it? Or can one simply chmem for an initial allocation, instead of the
current "big enough for any eventuality" situation?

Would joining the referees group be a quicker way to get it?

Thanks for any leads on this.

Don.

--
Don Wennick | dwennick@polari.UUCP -or- donw@rwing.UUCP
"subhuman bloodless leaders fed on lies and fear / and TV anchor news teams

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (12/17/90)

In <2884@polari.UUCP> dwennick@polari.UUCP (don wennick) writes:

>Is this coming any time soon, whether via archives or the net? This is
>something I'd REALLY like to get ahold of, although I know it means
>Yet Another Recompile.

If you have a 386, running with Bruce Evans' patches for the interim is a good
idea. Yet another recompile is no big deal with bcc. It only takes a handful of
minutes. Not enough time to get a cup of coffee... with ack you have enough
time to cook dinner :-)

Those hacking the OS will find bcc and shoelace takes a lot of the drudgery out
of the compile and test cycle. I have set up /etc/nconfig on the hard disk
which reads in the kernel components from /tmp (on the hard disk) and sets the
root file system to /dev/at0 --- to avoid scribbling on the hard disk with
experimental systems.

In this environment, testing a new kernel typically requires:

cd /usr/src/{kernel|mm|fs}
vi broken_part.c
make # writes .out file to /tmp
shutdown;exit
<< reboot >>
<< select minix partition >>
configure /etc/nconfig
boot

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146