[comp.os.minix] help with archives

frank@nyssa.uucp (Frank Gleason) (12/18/90)

 Could someone help me with problems I am having with the
 archive servers at umich and plains. I can't find info
 on the umich server commands altho I did try the same
 syntax as plains. The plains server will respond to help
 and index but after reading the help file I tried
 index minix
 and many variations of the same with no luck.

 Please use the reply address in the signature.
 thanks in advance.

 Frank Gleason
 frank%nyssa.uucp@unicorn.wwu.edu

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec17.170754.28164@nyssa.uucp> frank@nyssa.uucp (Frank Gleason) writes:
> syntax as plains. The plains server will respond to help
> and index but after reading the help file I tried
> index minix
> and many variations of the same with no luck.

I have gotten many recent complaints about the archive server not working.
The Index file in 'Minix' was truncated for at least several days, but has
now been fixed and containts a simple 'ls -al' of that directory.

I tried the server out myself with a simple:

index Minix

(note case, that is a Capital 'M' and as you all know Minix and it's
brethren are case sensitive).

and I got back the proper file.

Unfortunately, almost everybody who reports problems to me simply says "it
doesn't work" Uh hu..  sure seems to eat enough CPU time! (it was one of the
top 5 Time Bandits for November, and that is out of 780 logins).  When you
report a problem to me, would you please describe it?  Information such as
"I don't get a response at all" or "I get empty files" goes a LONG way
towards helping me figure out the problem and will probably keep your
complaint from being forwarded to /dev/null.  If the return message from the
archive server isn't a standard form letter and it's not too large, sending
it along could also be of a great help.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)