[comp.os.minix] MacMinix & Multifinder on a Mac+

rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) (12/15/90)

Ever since MacMinix was released it has been know that it did not run
under MultiFinder on a Mac+. Has this problem been solved yet? Did I
miss a posting to this newsgroup on the subject? TIA.....

.....rob

ps: Is there an archive somewhere that contains ONLY MacMinix related
    articles rather than generic Minix stuff. On a related note, is there
    an easy way to peruse a general Minix archive (and where might THAT be?)
    to quickly find only the MacMinix stuff? Thanks again.....
--
.....rob coben, currently contracted to AT&T Bell Labs, rob@homxc.att.com
rob's rule #1: If you want it bad, you're going to get it bad!

fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Phred Dushin) (12/15/90)

To follow up on Rob's questions, would it be possible
for someone familiar with macminix to say something
on its behalf?

Fred Dushin  				Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
Internet:				Bitnet:
fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu 		fadushin@sunrise.bitnet
(FYI, RODAN is a Sun4 running SunOS Release 4.1_PSR_A.)

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (12/19/90)

>To follow up on Rob's questions, would it be possible
>for someone familiar with macminix to say something
>on its behalf?

Ummmm.....  Well.....  I am glad to have minix on the Mac and don't want to
sound too negative, but I think it was released before it should have been.
It seems to hang and crash the Mac a lot.  I've been told that many of the
problems go away if you're not using MF and only using Finder, but who just
uses Finder anymore???  Hardly anyone...

At this point, I've had to stop using it until the MF bugs get worked out.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Ray

webber@csd.uwo.ca (Robert E. Webber) (12/20/90)

In article <1250007@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) writes:
>To follow up on Rob's questions, would it be possible
>for someone familiar with macminix to say something
>on its behalf?
Ummmm.....  Well.....  I am glad to have minix on the Mac and don't want to
sound too negative, but I think it was released before it should have been.
It seems to hang and crash the Mac a lot.  I've been told that many of the
problems go away if you're not using MF and only using Finder, but who just
uses Finder anymore???  Hardly anyone...

I guess how you view MacMinix has to do with what you want from it and what
you like about the Mac.  If you expect to run a full Mac environment including
MultiFinder, inits, desk accessories, etc., and also have minix running in
the corner as well, then things are probably a bit strange.  Never having
really gotten into the Mac stuff, I am quite happy to run MacMinix under Finder
and do all my multitasking within Minix.  To me, while the code isn't perfect,
there was no point in delaying its release.  I much prefer running under
MacMinix than running on raw MacOS (obviously people will disagree on this).

MacMinix is a bit sluggish at times, but since I am currently running
on a Mac+ with ROBUST set and no ram disk, I guess I can't complain
too loudly about that.  It helps to have a terminal and modem so that
you can read news and such while rebuilding the system or running a long
find - of course, if you are really desperate, there is always the manual
to skim thru (which includes the non-mac-specific source to the kernel-related
processes).

You have the source to most of what you need (and all of what you need
once a compiler/assembler/loader with source is ported to your
system).  The system runs well enough that it can be fixed to whatever
you feel like changing it to.  It can actually be used for useful work
as it comes out of the box (assuming you have a hard disk).  Of course
the original motivation for Minix was as an educational tool to
explore how operating systems work and, as such, MacMinix fits the
bill perfectly, since most people immediately feel motivated to poke
around and try and change something about it.  It is an interesting
question why new releases come out, since all the bugs are really
features in an educational system.  It is really strange to see patches
distributed without explanations of what it is they are fixing (obviously
an attempt to simulate commercial Unix vendors).

Right now, it seems to me that the biggest weakness in Minix is the
lack of a curses-based hypertext system that lets you coast around and
annotate the source.

--- BOB (webber@csd.uwo.ca)

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (12/21/90)

>I guess how you view MacMinix has to do with what you want from it and what
>you like about the Mac.  If you expect to run a full Mac environment including
>MultiFinder, inits, desk accessories, etc., and also have minix running in
>the corner as well, then things are probably a bit strange.  Never having
>really gotten into the Mac stuff, I am quite happy to run MacMinix under Finder

The info sheet indicates:

3.2 ADDITIONAL MINIX 1.5 FEATURES (MACINTOSH VERSION):
  - Up to 3 simultaneous users on one machine
  - RS-232 serial line support with terminal emulation, kermit, zmodem, etc.
  - Runs under Multifinder
  - Includes support for multiple user windows

I guess it was this part that confused me...    :)

Ray