[comp.os.minix] PC Minix won't boot

roger@imagen.UUCP (Roger C. Wang) (12/27/90)

oberme@bass.bu.edu (Lance Obermeyer) wrote:

> When I try to boot with any of the 3 diskettes, I get the first line
> and then 'Read error.  Automatic reboot."  It then really shakes the
> floppy disk and repeats.

I had the same problem. My hardware has Phoenix BIOS, 1.2 MB and 1.44MB drives.
My minix boot diskette is 3.5 720K.  Even though I did run CMOS setup to
set my disk drive to 3.5 720K, BIOS still try to read it as 1.44MB
density on reboot.
I wound up writing a program to copy 720K diskette to 1.2MB diskette sector by
sector in logical order (track 0 head 1 sector 1 of 720K diskette is mapped
to track 0 head 0 sector 10 of 1.2 MB drive); then reboot from 1.2MB diskette.
I am sure there are other ways to do it, but ...

If you need my simple program for reference, send my a mail.

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (12/28/90)

In article <17634@imagen.UUCP> roger@imagen.UUCP (Roger C. Wang) writes:

> oberme@bass.bu.edu (Lance Obermeyer) wrote:
>
> > When I try to boot with any of the 3 diskettes, I get the first line
> > and then 'Read error.  Automatic reboot."  It then really shakes the
> > floppy disk and repeats.
>
> I had the same problem. My hardware has Phoenix BIOS, 1.2 MB and 1.44MB drives.
> My minix boot diskette is 3.5 720K.  Even though I did run CMOS setup to
> set my disk drive to 3.5 720K, BIOS still try to read it as 1.44MB
> density on reboot.
> I wound up writing a program to copy 720K diskette to 1.2MB diskette sector by
> sector in logical order (track 0 head 1 sector 1 of 720K diskette is mapped

I have a 1.44MB 3.5" and a 1.2MB 5.25" with a 386sx running with the
Phoenix BIOS.  I had a strange problem installing Minix 1.5 at first.
Strange bad sector errors.  I pulled my system apart and nothing
worked.  I finally put everthing back together and suddenly it worked
and has worked since.  I do recall having a similiar problem about 9
months ago when I tried to install OS/2.  Though OS/2 comes 1.44MB
format.  Don't know what all this has to do with the tea in China but
maybe it'll help.  Good lunch...

srm
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)352-4162
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

bvickers@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Brett J. Vickers) (12/28/90)

Well I just unpacked Minix 1.5 and tried to get it to boot on my
386SX, but none of the three disks would boot.  I ordered Minix on
5.25" 360k floppies.

Here is a list of my relevant hardware:

x 386SX clone
x 1.2Meg floppy drive (floppy drive 0)
x 1.44Meg floppy drive (floppy drive 1)
x SCSI 205meg Conner hard drive
x Future domain SCSI controller card onto which I hook up my
  floppy drives and hard disk

The first time I tried booting with Boot Disk #2, and I got the
standard "Read error. Rebooting." message.  But ever since then
I have not seen that error.  Instead, when I boot off of any of
the three floppies, the computer just looks at them and then proceeds
to boot MS-DOS from my hard drive.

I've also tried unhooking the hard drive and booting all three boot
disks, but each time I get BOOT DISK FAILURE.

Is this happening because I am trying to boot 360k disks off of a
1.2Meg floppy?  In MS-DOS I can read 360k disks from the 1.2Meg,
but that may not be the case with Minix.  If this is indeed the
problem, what is the solution?

I'm a little disappointed with the documentation -- especially the
Troubleshooting section.  It's so bare and nebulous that it's really
of little use at all.

Brett Vickers (bvickers@ics.uci.edu)
--
bvickers@ics.uci.edu |       "We cannot decide whether that which