[comp.os.minix] OSF/1 kernel

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (12/22/90)

Having just finished finals, I have had a chance to be a real person
once again.  I noticed in a recent (late November) issue of EDN that the
Open Software Foundation is announcing that they will release their
OSF/1 kernel very soon.  It also listed the cost to get a copy of this
software.  I seem to remember $5000 for a single user license w/o any
source code!

I'm not sure, but I thought that maybe OSF == GNU.  Please correct me if
I'm wrong.  If this is true, I don't have any hope for a free full
V.4/BSD Unix ever coming out.  (I sincerly hope I'm wrong.)

--
favourite oxymorons:   student athlete, military justice, mercy killing
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

paradis@acestes.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (12/22/90)

In article <28990@usc> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>I'm not sure, but I thought that maybe OSF == GNU.  Please correct me if
>I'm wrong.  If this is true, I don't have any hope for a free full
>V.4/BSD Unix ever coming out.  (I sincerly hope I'm wrong.)

You're wrong.  OSF most emphatically != GNU.  In fact, when OSF was
started, Stallman was a bit peeved at their choice of name (GNU is
produced by the *Free* Software Foundation, a different animal
entirely).

As for free unices, my little bird tells me that UCB is working on
"scrubbing" the AT&T code from BSD UNIX.  When that is done, BSD
UNIX will indeed be completely free...
--
Jim Paradis                  UUCP:  harvard!m2c!jjmhome!acestes!paradis
9 Carlstad St.               AT&T:  (508) 792-3810

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/22/90)

In article <28990@usc> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>It also listed the cost to get a copy of this [i.e. OSF/1]
>software.  I seem to remember $5000 for a single user license w/o any
>source code!
>
>I'm not sure, but I thought that maybe OSF == GNU.  Please correct me if
>I'm wrong.  If this is true, I don't have any hope for a free full
>V.4/BSD Unix ever coming out.  (I sincerly hope I'm wrong.)

Consider yourself corrected.

   Axiom 1.  GNU = FSF
   Axiom 2.  OSF != FSF
   Theorem 1. OSF != GNU
   Proof 1.  Trivial.

Is the price for a single binary license $5000?  I find this impossible
to swallow.  I might believe $500 and I would certainly believe $50.
Anybody know the Truth?

Last I heard, FSF was contemplating writing a UNIX server on top of Mach
3.0.  Since all Mach 3.0 provides is communication services, all they have
to do is rewrite most of BSD from scratch.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

boot@donald.osf.org (Bruce Bauman) (12/28/90)

I think binary license fees for OSF/1 IN QUANTITY are on the order of
$50, but we (OSF) don't deal directly with end users. If you want an
official story, call OSF directly - (617)-621-8700. You can get all
the facts, and save some net bandwidth.

--
Bruce Bauman	email: boot@osf.org		phone: 617-621-7205

	"Give me the number for 911"