[comp.os.minix] Shoelace devices +

sid.boyce@amail.amdahl.COM (01/03/91)

     Everything boots up fine, except that I get error messages
after telling shoelace which partition to boot.
    /dev/fd0 not found - guessing major and minor device numbers
    /dev/at0 not found -          ditto
    /dev/hdx not found -          ditto
    Followed by ..........................
    /dev/fd0      = 256
    /dev/at0      = 256
    /dev/hd2      = 256
    etc., etc.
    I have used setdev bootdev /dev/hd2 and setdev rootdev /dev/hd3, I
have also played around with setdev /dev/hd2 3,2 and setdev /dev/hd2
device 3, minor 2 etc. etc.
    I have on my system drive A = 1.2M drive B=1.44M C=HD0 1-DOS
2-root,3-/usr, 2nd hard drive has 3 Minix partitions.
    The shoelace doc is not so clear on what should be there.
However, everything works fine, but it would be nice to banish
these messages.
**** Now to the topic of the second hard disk******
Earl in an article confirmed that you should boot from fd1 and laceup
hd5. The only systems me or my  colleagues know to allow this is the
Zenith, by pressing "esc" just before boot to go into MONITOR and type
b1 to boot from floppy 1.
     It seems that the BIOS is designed to try first floppy 0 and then
hard drive 0 and stops if does not find a bootable system on either.
     Can it be done? I was hoping eventually to use the first hard
disk for DOS only and the second for Minix only.
********386 + 1.5.10 ********

Regards
Sid....G3VBV.
***** Amdahl (UK) Tech. Ops. Group ******

    ********OOOOPS, it was trying to tell me it couldn't find
       /dev, I should have been booting off hd3.***************

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (01/04/91)

In <m0irJrK-0000GZC@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> sid.boyce@amail.amdahl.COM writes:

>     Everything boots up fine, except that I get error messages
>after telling shoelace which partition to boot.
>    /dev/fd0 not found - guessing major and minor device numbers
>    /dev/at0 not found -          ditto
>    /dev/hdx not found -          ditto
>    Followed by ..........................
>    /dev/fd0      = 256
>    /dev/at0      = 256
>    /dev/hd2      = 256
>    etc., etc.
>    I have used setdev bootdev /dev/hd2 and setdev rootdev /dev/hd3, I
>have also played around with setdev /dev/hd2 3,2 and setdev /dev/hd2
>device 3, minor 2 etc. etc.

To avoid these problems:

1. Ensure you have /dev/* entries that shoelace is looking for.
2. Ensure that the drive (and partition if you're booting a hard disk
   partition) you are booting from has a dev directory.

>    I have on my system drive A = 1.2M drive B=1.44M C=HD0 1-DOS
>2-root,3-/usr, 2nd hard drive has 3 Minix partitions.

   From this, Sid should be attempting to boot /dev/hd2.

>Earl in an article confirmed that you should boot from fd1 and laceup
>hd5. The only systems me or my  colleagues know to allow this is the
>Zenith, by pressing "esc" just before boot to go into MONITOR and type
>b1 to boot from floppy 1.
>     It seems that the BIOS is designed to try first floppy 0 and then
>hard drive 0 and stops if does not find a bootable system on either.
>     Can it be done? I was hoping eventually to use the first hard
>disk for DOS only and the second for Minix only.

Yes, I was being optimistic about the way BIOSes work. Unfortunately, I was
wrong :-( It turns out that most BIOSes *reset* floppy drive 1, but after that
don't look at it at all. Thus it is difficult to get the BIOS to boot floppy
drive 1.

I am sorry to inform Sid that for the time being, he will have to put up with
booting off hd0 until such time as I get some time to work on shoelace again.
Winiboot will have to be patched so that it can boot /dev/hd[5-9]. I am also
giving some thought as to how I can boot /dev/hd1[0-9].

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146