[comp.os.minix] GNU CPP for MINIX, Info

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (01/03/91)

The following three messages contain the GNU C preprocessor, taken from
the GNU C Compiler distribution version 1.37 and modified to compile
under MINIX.  It probably won't be useful under plain PC-MINIX,
but it is quite useful when running Bruce Evan's 386-MINIX.
The 68000 and Sparc people might find this useful, too.
It should make a good preprocessor for the cc68/cc386 compiler,
but I used it just to process the *.x files in the 386-MINIX kernel.

Please let me know about bugs.  Enjoy!

--
Guy Helmer                           helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (01/04/91)

What were the problems with GNU CPP ? (I suspect it were functions returning
structs since Bruce's compiler does not support them).
C.v.W.

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (01/04/91)

In <40627@nigel.ee.udel.edu> HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) writes:

>What were the problems with GNU CPP ? (I suspect it were functions returning
>structs since Bruce's compiler does not support them).
>C.v.W.

GNU CPP had a couple of minor problems with different or missing
include files from what it expected for USG UNIX, which is what
my Makefile uses for a default.  GNU CPP did have one function
that wanted to return a struct, but I fixed that up.  The last
problem dealt with a couple BSD-isms in MINIX that
interfered with GNU's idea of whether routines like bcopy were
available in the library.

My motivation for hacking the GNU CPP out GCC was to 1) provide a separate
pre-processor for those using Bruce's compiler, and 2) provide a CPP with
source to those using your cc68/cc386 compiler.