[comp.os.minix] WD-1006 RLL controller problem, so do I

D98E%DDATHD21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Peter Lautenschlaeger) (01/03/91)

> I've been working on bringing up MINIX 1.5 with Bruce Evans' 386
> enhancements on my new DTK 386sx with a WD-1006 RLL controller and
> 120Mb Seagate RLL drive.  Occasionally, but often enough to
> be annoying, the machine locks up during a hard disk access
> with my process (be it cp, fsck, or anything else) waiting on
> FS, FS waiting on WINCHester, and the IDLE task just racks up
> time.

 I have the same problem on NEAT 20Mhz 286 machine, this seems to
 me a common problem. I dimly remember having heard of timing problems
 with this controller. But I can't remember the answer.

Peter

raymond@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (01/03/91)

D98E%DDATHD21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Peter Lautenschlaeger) writes:
>> I've been working on bringing up MINIX 1.5 with Bruce Evans' 386
>> enhancements on my new DTK 386sx with a WD-1006 RLL controller and
>> 120Mb Seagate RLL drive.  Occasionally, but often enough to
>> be annoying, the machine locks up during a hard disk access
>> with my process (be it cp, fsck, or anything else) waiting on
>> FS, FS waiting on WINCHester, and the IDLE task just racks up
>> time.
> I have the same problem on NEAT 20Mhz 286 machine, this seems to
> me a common problem. I dimly remember having heard of timing problems
> with this controller. But I can't remember the answer.

Fortunately, this is not a common problem. The problem Peter refers to
does only occur if you (1) use 2 harddisks and (2) your OS uses overlapped
seeks, i.e. letting one drive seek while transferring data on the other one.

Since you don't have 2 drives, and Minix doesn't support overlapped seeks
(like ISC), this infamous WD1006 bug is not likely to be your problem.
BTW, I have indications that WD1006 chips without the word 'PROTO' on them
do not have this problem. Maybe someone else might comment on this.

-Raymond

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (01/05/91)

In <124@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl> raymond@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) writes:

>D98E%DDATHD21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Peter Lautenschlaeger) writes:
>>> [ my info about my WD-1006 controller causing MINIX to hang ]
>> I have the same problem on NEAT 20Mhz 286 machine, this seems to
>> me a common problem. I dimly remember having heard of timing problems
>> with this controller. But I can't remember the answer.

>Since you don't have 2 drives, and Minix doesn't support overlapped seeks
>(like ISC), this infamous WD1006 bug is not likely to be your problem.

I still haven't figured out an answer to my problem.  Some have suggested
that I try putting my machine in slow mode, but that didn't help at all.
I can consistently hang my machine by doing a "cp /dev/hd4 /dev/null",
so I don't do that anymore :-).  The machine seems to lock up
whenever I do lots of fast sequential i/o.  I wonder if MINIX is sending
commands to the controller before it is ready to accept them?

--
Guy Helmer                           helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315