[net.unix-wizards] Looking for Unix driver for Interlan Ethernet interface

cak@Purdue@sri-unix (09/01/82)

From: Chris Kent <cak at Purdue>
Date: 26 Aug 1982 14:04:58-EST
Berkeley has one working for 4.1x. Rob Gurwitz is working on one for
his TCP/IP. George Goble has a 'raw' one that just spits onto
and reads off of the bus (contact mosher@Berkeley, gurwitz@bbn-unix
and ghg@purdue, respectively).

George Gobel reports being able to send a packet to the Interlan
board only every 8 milliseconds, mainly due to the z80 on the board
being to slow. The newer release of the board (due soon) should
have a 30% speedup, according to Interlan. Still not great.

chris

croft@SRI-TSC@sri-unix (09/04/82)

From: Bill Croft <croft@SRI-TSC>
Date:  1 Sep 1982 at 1648-PDT

Here is a note describing tests recently run by INTERLAN to determine the
transmit performance of their NI1010 Unibus Ethernet Controller.  The basic
result is about 2 to 3 megabits per second maximum transmit rate.  As far
as I know, the 3COM board is in the same range.  Of course what really
counts is end to end thruput and this is more dependent on host buffering
strategies and protocol efficiency.  We'll have to wait for Berkeley's
4.2BSD network device benchmarks for an accurate comparison.  The Interlan
board does have the advantage of DMA operation, so it should be less load
on the host CPU.  (The NI1010A figures shown below are for the new
bit-slice version of the board;  the original NI1010 contains a Z80)

---

TRANSMIT PERFORMANCE OF THE NI1010 ON A STANDALONE PDP-11/24

On an 11/24, the NI1010 was driven by a small MACRO-11 program that
repetitively DMAed an Ethernet packet from UNIBUS memory to the controller
which then transmitted it onto an idle Ethernet.  The following tests
consisted of measuring the time required to send 10000 packets of the given
fixed size:

			Transmit Packet Size
	64 bytes        200 bytes       800 bytes       1518 bytes
	--------        ---------       ---------       ----------

Packets   1010            699             290             171
per sec

NI1010    .52 Mbps        1.12 Mbps       1.86 Mbps       2.07 Mbps
transmit
thruput

NI1010A   1 Mbps                                          2.7 Mbps
transmit
thruput

cak@Purdue@sri-unix (09/08/82)

From: Chris Kent <cak at Purdue>
Date: 5 Sep 1982 21:08:30-EST
Mike O'Dell (mo@lbl-unix) would you please publish the numbers you've
been getting with your proNET setup? The world is waiting.

chris

mo@LBL-UNIX@sri-unix (09/10/82)

From: mo at LBL-UNIX (Mike O'Dell [system])
Date: 8 Sep 1982 09:35:08-PDT
Ahem!  The tests we have done involved running 4.1a to 4.1a between
780's over the pronet ring.  We are seeing about 100 kbytes/sec
user-process-to-user-process before the Vaxen burn up. There is
no evidence of any wire-limiting going on.  IP/TCP is a pig
and there ain't no way around it, and the 4.1a TCP is probably
the fastest around. As soon as Sam gets Delta-T
working, I will try it and see what happens.  Should be able
to go a lot faster.  In the near future, we will be connecting
a logic analyzer to the hardware and be taking some detailed
"this many microseconds to do that" kind of measurements.
We do know that because the interface is only single-buffered on the input
side, it can't do back-to-back packets, but that is a small loss
compared to the braindamage of existing Ethernet controllers.

Hope this information, what there is of it, is useful.

	-Mike

lwa%MIT-CSR@MIT-Multics@sri-unix (09/19/82)

Date: 15 Sep 1982 1652-EDT (Wednesday)
Well, we have about 15 VAX-11/750's on a Pronet ring here, running
Gurwitz' 4.1 TCP/IP code, and we are seeing file transfers (in image
mode) around 250-300 KBits/second.  I'm not sure I understand why
you're seeing such poor performance; do you have the latest distribution
from Rob?  I understand there were some improvements in the "sys.8"
code...

BTW, the IP implementation itself runs somewhat faster.  Using a locally-
designed protocol for updating remote bitmapped displays (running directly
on top of IP), we see data transfer rates of better than 400KBits/second.
This is still not superb, but it's not too unsatisfactory.
					-Larry
-------