[comp.os.minix] minix installation question

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) (12/29/90)

I'm installing minix 1.5 on my '286 clone.  I've gotten to the "readall" step
and have noticed that it takes an EXTREMELY long time to scan a partition.  I'm
using a Maxtor 200AT drive (191 megs, 15ms access).  The drive light blinks
about every second.  I've set up partitions of various lengths (5K, 32K, 64K),
and in each case, the drive seems run into an infinite loop.  The only
partition I got it to work on was a .5 meg partition for the RAM disk.  I'm
concerned because this is supposed to be a "fast" surface check, and I'd hoped
that with a 15ms drive that it would be even faster.  On the 64 meg
partition, I waited 4.5 hours and finally gave up.  What gives?!  I'm at the
end of my rope, so to speak. :-(

--

J. White                       "Ah, I see you have the machine that goes BING!"
jdwhite@iastate.edu                  - Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life"

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (01/06/91)

In article <1990Dec29.114357.6792@news.iastate.edu> jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) writes:
>I'm installing minix 1.5 on my '286 clone.  I've gotten to the "readall" step
>and have noticed that it takes an EXTREMELY long time to scan a partition.  I'm
>using a Maxtor 200AT drive (191 megs, 15ms access).

I don't know, but this might be the notorious Minix fs.  If fs is the
bottleneck here, can anybody shed some light on the following question:

Just how fast a harddisk can Minix effectively use, given whatever
information about the controller is required.  (I don't want to waste
money buying a fast harddisk that Minix can't use.)

--
favourite oxymorons:   student athlete, military justice, mercy killing
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh