[comp.os.minix] Minix on DEC Rainbow ?

tim%maths.tcd.ie@pucc.princeton.edu (Timothy Murphy) (12/09/90)

I wonder if anyone has ported MINIX (preferaby v1.5)
to the DEC Rainbow?
Any information gratefully received.

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-1-772941 x 1507

wbeebe@vicstoy.UUCP (William Beebe) (12/12/90)

In article <38575@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tim%maths.tcd.ie@pucc.princeton.edu (Timothy Murphy) writes:
>I wonder if anyone has ported MINIX (preferaby v1.5)
>to the DEC Rainbow?
>Any information gratefully received.

The Dec Rainbow is probably the most non-standard DOS machine you will find.
The floppy controller is not even controlled by the 8088, but by the Z80 Dec
decided to install so it could run 8-bit CP/M, and thus, all the Robin
software. Further, the diskettes require single sided 80-track MFM formatting.
Thus, you get 360K on a single-sided floppy. I'm sorry if the Rainbow is
the only machine you've got, but I would suggest you try to find a standard
8088 PClone or higher if you can.

burgess%creek.decnet@hqhsd.brooks.af.mil (CREEK::BURGESS) (01/08/91)

>In article <38575@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tim%maths.tcd.ie@pucc.princeton.edu
> (Timothy Murphy) writes:
>>I wonder if anyone has ported MINIX (preferaby v1.5)
>>to the DEC Rainbow?
>>Any information gratefully received.
>
>The Dec Rainbow is probably the most non-standard DOS machine you will find.
   ... stuff about hardware problems deleted ...
>Thus, you get 360K on a single-sided floppy. I'm sorry if the Rainbow is
>the only machine you've got, but I would suggest you try to find a standard
>8088 PClone or higher if you can.

On the other hand, why not try.  Good Luck!

TSgt David Burgess
Armstrong Laboratory
Brooks AFB, TX