[comp.os.minix] Macminix problems

wbb@hpclove.HP.COM (Bill Buzbee) (10/26/90)

Well, I got my copy of MacMinix yesterday and spent most of the
night trying to install it on my hard disk.  There are definately
problems with the manual's instruction (or else I'm REALLY dense).

I finally got it going, but I'm not convinced everything is as
it should be.  Some of the problems I had were:

1.  Page 67 reference to hdcreate.  This doesn't exist.  I assume
    they meant "maccreate".

2.  Page 67 line reading:

      /etc/setup_root harddisk:file1 2048 32000 32000 2048 1400

   Aborts with error.  After hacking around, I figured that instead
   of the actual filename "harrdisk:file1", they meant the /dev/hd?
   previously associated with the file.

3.  Page 68, after doing setup_root the manual says to copy the
    boot application to hard disk and launch.  When doing so, it
    fails because it can't find the root system.  I then copied
    ROOT from the boot disk, as it came up.  Unfortunately, it
    came up with the ROOT I just copied, rather than "harddisk:file1".
    This is corrected by selecting the Configure menu, and replacing
    ROOT with harddisk:file1 in boot partition box.

4.  OK, reboot again, the 2 meg harddisk:file1 image is copied to
    RAM disk and everything seems OK.  Moving on to the next step,
    initializing /usr.  As requested by the instruction, I reboot
    using the floppies 00.BOOT and 01.USR1.  The hdopen and mkfs work OK,
    but I die with "mount device busy" in the next step.  I assume
    that this is because my floppy is still mounted to /usr.
    I unmount /dev/hd0 (the floppy) from /usr and try again.  Death is
    swift as there was stuff on the floppy /usr partition that
    was apparently needed.  I try to copy the /usr/bin stuff to
    /bin, but there isn't space.  So, I reboot using my hard disk
    setup and copy /usr/bin/* to /bin/.  Next, I unmounted the /usr
    floppy and retry the /etc/setup_usr script.  There is a quick
    message saying that it can't stat /usr/bin, but everything else
    seems to work OK.

5.  Next, I edit the /etc/rc file to pick up my new /usr partition.
    This done I reboot, but I still get the old partition.  A quick
    check of /etc/rc shows that my changes disappeared.  I then realize
    that the changes made to /etc/rc were on the RAM disk and were
    not saved to my boot image.  I then mount my boot image, edit
    its /etc/rc and try again.  Success!

6.  Finally, I try to get rid of the RAM disk, as I don't like the
    idea of changes going away.  I eventually get it to work by
    deleting the lines near the beginning of /etc/rc that unmount
    /hd0 and eject, and then change by previous changes tht mounted
    my /usr partition to use /dev/hd1 instead of /dev/hd0.  Oh, I
    also unchecked the RAM disk box in the Configure menu.

I think it works now, but after all that I haven't had much time to
play with it.  Could someone who knows what's going on PLEASE post
revised instructions on how to do this?

Thanks,

.......bill buzbee  wbb@hpda.com

5.  The

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (10/29/90)

wbb@hpclove.HP.COM (Bill Buzbee) writes:

>1.  Page 67 reference to hdcreate.  This doesn't exist.  I assume
>    they meant "maccreate".
Yes, it should be maccreate.

>2.  Page 67 line reading:
>      /etc/setup_root harddisk:file1 2048 32000 32000 2048 1400
As I said in a previous note, the wrong setup_root script got onto
the distribution.  I will post the correct one.

>3.  Unfortunately, it
>    came up with the ROOT I just copied, rather than "harddisk:file1".
>    This is corrected by selecting the Configure menu, and replacing
>    ROOT with harddisk:file1 in boot partition box.
As distributed, MINIX looks for the root file system
in a mac file called ROOT in the same folder as the application.
If you had renamed harddisk:file1 to ROOT and put it in the same
folder as the MINIX application, it should have worked ok.  Or what
you did is right too.

>4.  OK, reboot again, the 2 meg harddisk:file1 image is copied to
>    RAM disk and everything seems OK.  Moving on to the next step,
>    initializing /usr.  As requested by the instruction, I reboot
>    using the floppies 00.BOOT and 01.USR1.  The hdopen and mkfs work OK,
>    but I die with "mount device busy" in the next step.  I assume
>    that this is because my floppy is still mounted to /usr.
>    I unmount /dev/hd0 (the floppy) from /usr and try again.  Death is
>    swift as there was stuff on the floppy /usr partition that
>    was apparently needed.  I try to copy the /usr/bin stuff to
>    /bin, but there isn't space.  So, I reboot using my hard disk
>    setup and copy /usr/bin/* to /bin/.  Next, I unmounted the /usr
>    floppy and retry the /etc/setup_usr script.  There is a quick
>    message saying that it can't stat /usr/bin, but everything else
>    seems to work OK.
The mount line in step 2 section 5.7.6 (page 68) should read
	/etc/mount /dev/hd1 /user
and NOT	/etc/mount /dev/hd1 /usr

>5.  Next, I edit the /etc/rc file to pick up my new /usr partition.
>    This done I reboot, but I still get the old partition.  A quick
>    check of /etc/rc shows that my changes disappeared.  I then realize
>    that the changes made to /etc/rc were on the RAM disk and were
>    not saved to my boot image.  I then mount my boot image, edit
>    its /etc/rc and try again.  Success!
The ram disk gets us all at least once.

>6.  Finally, I try to get rid of the RAM disk, as I don't like the
>    idea of changes going away.  I eventually get it to work by
>    deleting the lines near the beginning of /etc/rc that unmount
>    /hd0 and eject, and then change by previous changes tht mounted
>    my /usr partition to use /dev/hd1 instead of /dev/hd0.  Oh, I
>    also unchecked the RAM disk box in the Configure menu.
This is right.

Joe Pickert

wbb@hpclove.HP.COM (Bill Buzbee) (11/06/90)

I've looked into my cron and atrun problems a little deeper, and now
now atrun works (and cron sort-of works).

It seems that atrun moves jobs to be run into directory
    /usr/spool/at/past/
prior to running them.  If the directory isn't there, nothing is run.
Create the "past" directory and atruns works fine.

My /usr/lib/crontab file does nothing by fire up atrun on the
minute:
       * * * * * /usr/bin/atrun
When I manually invoke cron after logging in as root, it seems to work
fine, but when I try to fire it up from /etc/rc (last line in file:
/usr/bin/cron), I get a system crash the first time it wakes up.

Any ideas?

.........bill buzbee

sgerakin@hawk.ulowell.edu (Steve Gerakines) (11/11/90)

In article <5030003@hpclove.HP.COM> wbb@hpclove.HP.COM (Bill Buzbee) writes:
>When I manually invoke cron after logging in as root, it seems to work
>fine, but when I try to fire it up from /etc/rc (last line in file:
>/usr/bin/cron), I get a system crash the first time it wakes up.
>
>Any ideas?

I have Minix-ST 1.5.10, and the version of cron I had never did work
right.  I only got around to fixing it a few days ago.  I made only
a couple of changes to the load_crontab() procedure, and it works fine
now.  What I did was add two lines that were:

	if (!len) continue;

right before and after the statement:

	if (crontab[pos + len - 1] == '\n') {

That seemed to fix it.  Not exactly sure *why* that fixed it.. :-)

Hope that helps.
-Steve Gerakines

| Usenet: sgerakin@hawk.ulowell.edu       | SteveNet: GENESIS:Steve2         |
| UUCP:   ...!harvard!swan!sgerakin@hawk  | "My kingdom for a smoke!!!"      |

michel%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com (Michel Pollet) (01/03/91)

I've installed MacMinix on a 5mo SE30, with a FRENCH system 6.0.5

#define _FLAME

1) Macminix does not work with french keyboard (typing the 'i' key
   give funny results (try to type 'Geheim' without echo this way ;-)))
2) I'm unable to read minix-st disks. I've to read them on my sun,
   convert them to msdos disks, re-convert them to MacOS disk then
   'macread' all the files. Very nice compatibility... :-(
3) The 'macwrite' tools is unable to work properly on binary files.
   I've to uuencode compressed files instead of writing them directly.
4) Poor MacMinix hangs frequently, following the well known Murphy rules.

#undef _FLAME

Is somebody used uucp on macminix ?

  Michel 'BusError' Pollet               | "A problem is always more complex
  michel%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com |  than it seems to" -Magician Murphy

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (01/04/91)

>> 4) Poor MacMinix hangs frequently, following the well known Murphy rules.

I've heard that it hangs less frequently under Finder than under MultiFinder
(but then who only uses Finder anymore???).

I'm still waiting for a version of Minix that will run properly under MF...

Ray

brosser@cue.bc.ca (Blair Rosser) (01/08/91)

I can't remember if this has been covered, or if it is a problem
specific to my setup: I have never been able to get "term" to work
properly. I can set the line parameters no problem, access the
modem and log into a remote system, but after an indetertimate
period of time from a few seconds to a few minutes, "term" fails
on a ttywrite, hanging the application. I can kill the process
and try again with the same results, but eventually this leads
to a system crash.

Is this yet another problem related to 68000 Macs? I'm running
a Mac SE w/ HD and 2.5 megs RAM.

While I'm on the subject, it would be nice to have a summary of
known Macminix problems/bugs on different platforms (SE/plus, II,
CI, SI) I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who are wondering
exactly what works and what doesn't, who's fixing what, and
when to expect fixes/enhancements. I'm assuming questions that
have not been getting answered (like the infamous multifinder
problem) are still problems, but it would be nice to get a more
useful answer to these queries than just silence. Is everyone
completely in the dark on this one. Summaries, please!!

Thanks in advance to all those who take the time.
--
% brosser@cue.bc.ca,brosser@uvcw.UVic.ca      %  m  m     m   m

twosheds@ferris.cray.com (Jay Vollmer) (01/09/91)

	If I recall correctly, term is specified as being an IBM utility.
I donUt know that it is available in MacMinix.

 | __ |      | _________    Macintosh virtuoso    __________ |   |  | __ |
 | __ |      | _________ twosheds@ferris.cray.com __________ |___|  | __ |