[comp.os.minix] Minix as SunOS user process

frank@westc.uucp (Frank J de Bruin) (01/12/91)

Hi

I like to port Minix to run on a Sun Sparcstation. That is: as a user
process under SunOS (how about Minix replacing SunOS :-).

Before starting I want to know whether someone has done this already.
Also, what is the best version (Amiga/PC/Atari/...) to start with?

Frank

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan11.160804.3812@westc.uucp> frank@westc.uucp (Frank J de Bruin) writes:
>I like to port Minix to run on a Sun Sparcstation. That is: as a user
>process under SunOS (how about Minix replacing SunOS :-).
>Before starting I want to know whether someone has done this already.

I've ported Minix to the SparcStation 1 (also the 1+ and IPC). It runs as
a native operating system, NOT under SunOS! You can expect it to be released
as an official Minix version in the course of this year.

>Also, what is the best version (Amiga/PC/Atari/...) to start with?

What can I say? The best version to start with is Minix-Sparc, of course.
But you'll have to perform some tricks, used in the Mac version, as well,
so I guess that you might also copy some pieces of Mac-Minix.

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Centre Aachen