[comp.os.minix] What happened to my Keyboard?

Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) (01/14/91)

Hello everyone!
I have upgraded my Minix-ST via the net (nice, nice!) and installed
several patches (al "official" 3). I copied "keyboard.ge.h" to
"keyboard.h" because I do have a german layout. When I made the Kernel and
rebooted, I didn't had access to the keypad (is it keypad? those Numbers on
the right side of mey Keyboard...). All I got were useless signs but no
numbers at all. Did anybody had the same problems (Seems this goes to the
non-US-users)?
Any idea/solution?

Ciao,
     Michael.

laverman@cs.rug.nl (Bert Laverman) (01/14/91)

Michael Joswig writes:
>  I copied "keyboard.ge.h" to
> "keyboard.h" because I do have a german layout.
I hope you also patched Makefile... It knows about these different layouts.

>                                                 When I made the Kernel and
> rebooted, I didn't had access to the keypad (is it keypad? those Numbers on
> the right side of mey Keyboard...). All I got were useless signs but no
> numbers at all.
This ain't a bug; it's a feature ;-) Your keyboard is now a vt100 keyboard,
which means that your keypad generates DEC VT-100 compatible codes. The Function
keys now generate VT-200 compatible codes. Look at kernel/stkbd.c for what
exactly it is they generate.

If you want to recover the original coding - as was used in Minix ST 1.1 -
you must set a #define in /usr/include/minix/config.h from VT100 to IBMPC
or something like that. I kept vt100 style coding. At least it conforms to
some kind of standard...

Greetings,
Bert Laverman.

    Disclaimer: Don't blame my Boss,
		He doesn't know what I'm saying either.
/								      \
|  "The only problem with parameterization is that		      |
|   you never have enough parameters"	- J.B. Goodenough	      |
|					  at the RMISE Reuse Workshop |
\_____________________________________________________________________/

	Bert Laverman
  Dept. of Computing Science		laverman@cs.rug.nl
  National Univ. of Groningen		bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org
  P.O.Box 800, 9700 AV Groningen
  The Netherlands			(+31 50)/(050) 633948

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (01/14/91)

The useless signs are intentionally. These are VT200-like function keys.
If you want to keep your old binaries (like mined) that talk with the
function keys, you must #define KEYBOARD IBM_PC (from memory) in
/usr/include/minix/config.h

Look at stkbd.c

C.v.W.