[net.unix-wizards] UNIX hardware

lee@utexas-11@sri-unix (09/04/82)

From: Bill Lee <lee at utexas-11>
Date: 31 Aug 1982 at 1758-CDT

	IS anyone running or does anyone know of a system that will run
	UNIX and support 30 users besides a VAX or a PDP 11?

You might talk to AT&T. They are now marketing the 3B20 and offer complete
support, including software support for Unix 5 .0. They claim that the 3B20
is competive with the Vax and has several advantages. I can't quote any
prices but AT&T is sending me (hopefully in the mail now) all their
glossy marketing poop on the 3B20 as well as a hardware reference manual.
I can provide a phone number if you are interested and can't find anyone
at AT&T that wants to sell you a 3B20.

Bill Lee
-------

kiessig (09/21/82)

#R:sri-unix:-276100:fortune:11600003:000:267
fortune!kiessig    Aug 18 02:54:00 1982

	Have you heard about the Amdahl system?  It supports up to 300
users, depending on what they're doing, and on which processor you have.
On a smaller scale, the Perkin Elmer machines are the size of a VAX,
and could handle the 30 users you asked about.

Rick Kiessig