[comp.os.minix] Keyboard layout

ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk (Povl H. Pedersen) (01/15/91)

I am using MacMINIX on a machine with a foreign (danish) keyboard, and I
have some problems with the 8 bit national/accented characters.

Before trying to make support for these I would like to know if there is
any standard for mapping special characters into the ASCII table. I would
also like to know if MINIX in general is 8 bit character compatible.

If there is no standard 8 bit mapping, then I will suggest that it should
be implemented in some future version (1.6 or 1.7 ?), and I will also
suggest that the mapping of these characters follow some common standard
like the 8 bit ISO LATIN character set. Even my calculator (HP48sx) does
so.

Povl H. Pedersen
eco8941@ecostat.aau.dk

mitchell@mdivax1 (01/15/91)

In article <41684@nigel.ee.udel.edu> ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk (Povl H. Pedersen) writes:

>I am using MacMINIX on a machine with a foreign (danish) keyboard, and I
>have some problems with the 8 bit national/accented characters.
>
>Before trying to make support for these I would like to know if there is
>any standard for mapping special characters into the ASCII table.

I don't know the answer to this, but would hazard a guess that any
standard which does exist is set by a national standards committee
in Denmark.

If anybody knows of a central document detailing standards for mapping
of various national alphabets into 7/8 bit codes, I'd appreciate a pointer
to it.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

vladimir@prosper.EBB.Eng.Sun.COM (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.150838.2877@mdivax1.uucp>
   If anybody knows of a central document detailing standards for mapping
   of various national alphabets into 7/8 bit codes, I'd appreciate a pointer
   to it.

There is an ISO standard and or a ECMA standard which defines the Latin, Kana,
Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, APL and Hebrew sets.  Sorry, no number...

-- Vladimir
   Vladimir G. Ivanovic				Sun Microsystems, Inc
     (415) 336-2315				2550 Garcia Ave., MTV12-33
    vladimir@Sun.COM				Mountain View, CA 94043-1100

      Disclaimer: I speak only for myself.  Your mileage will vary.