[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5.10 fs problems during upgrade - help needed.

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (01/14/91)

In <1991Jan11.030708.20803@vicstoy.UUCP> vickde@vicstoy.UUCP (Vick De Giorgio) writes:

>Is this normal? Do I need to tar everything off under 1.3 then
>remake the hd partitions and restore under 1.5.10 (I hope not ;-).
>HELP!

The problem is that the partition begins on an odd sector. 1.3 drivers rounded
the start sector up to the next even one. 1.5.10 drivers don't. Compile 1.5.10
fdisk under 1.3. Run it and read what it says about that partition. Apply the
'+' operator (I believe... check the documentation, I'm going from memory).
Now try booting 1.5.10.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146

vickde@vicstoy.UUCP (Vick De Giorgio) (01/17/91)

In article <3581@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) writes:

>>Is this normal? Do I need to tar everything off under 1.3 then
>>remake the hd partitions and restore under 1.5.10 (I hope not ;-).
>>HELP!
>
>The problem is that the partition begins on an odd sector. 1.3 drivers rounded
>the start sector up to the next even one. 1.5.10 drivers don't. Compile 1.5.10
>fdisk under 1.3. Run it and read what it says about that partition. Apply the
>'+' operator (I believe... check the documentation, I'm going from memory).
>Now try booting 1.5.10.

Thanks, Earl. A number of folks replies, and my thanks to all of them, also.
Your summary of the problem is quite precisely correct. Since fixing the
problem, I've been so busy setting up the rest of the system that I have
failed to reply to some to thank them. I will.

Again, thanks to you and all who replied. =V=

--
Vick De Giorgio - vickde@vicstoy.UUCP
           UUCP - uunet!tarpit!bilver!vicstoy!vickde