[comp.os.minix] Minix and Dos

pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete Gregory ) (08/29/90)

Hi -

This novice (who has not yet purchased MINIX 1.3 for DTK '286 10MHZ) has
some questions:

	1.  can I run MINIX *and* DOS on my machine (presumably with
	    seperate partitions - I would determine which to boot by
	    changing the 'active' bits)????

	2.  How much disk space do I need to load/run MINIX?

	3.  In the 'what programs come with MINIX' document, I see that
	    uucp programs are missing.  Does this mean that I cannot use
	    my PC to send/receive mail/news??

	4.  Which MINIX 1.3 (p/n 0-13-583444-9) or (0-13-584426-6) come
	    with electronic source code??

Thanks for your help.  Ignorant minds, such as I, thank you....

Pete Gregory           : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete              |
Bally Systems          : domain: pete@bally.bally.com       ---|---
5270 Neil Rd, Suite 301: phone:  702-689-2485                  |
Reno, NV 89502         : FAX:    702-689-2417                  |

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own
understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your
paths straight."  Proverbs 3:5-6

KKET7663%BCIT.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (01/14/91)

 To: INFO-MI1--$UDEL.ED Minix Mail Address

 FROM: THOMAS KOKE
 PROCTOR COORDINATOR
 COMPUTER RESOURCES -- MICRO LAB SUPPORT GROUP
 Subject: Minix and Dos

 I'm still waiting for my Minix 1.5.xx but in the meantime I have a
 question for everyone.  Is it possible for MINIX to co-habit on
 a DOS formatted drive?  I only have a puny little 30 MB RLL
 drive and it would be a real drag to have to back-it-up and
 format it for MINIX instead.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

 Thanx,
      Thomas

swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) (01/15/91)

>>> Is it possible for MINIX to co-habit on
>>> a DOS formatted drive?  I only have a puny little 30 MB RLL
>>> drive and it would be a real drag to have to back-it-up and
>>> format it for MINIX instead.  Thoughts?  Thanks.
----------
Have you considered creating a second partition on the hard disk, with one
designated as a DOS logical disk and the other as a MINIX logicial disk?

Having done this, you can load special boot code onto the physical
sector 0 of the physical drive that asks you at boot time which partition
to boot.  Several varieties of this "dualboot" capability have been
posted to the net.

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (01/15/91)

KKET7663%BCIT.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

> To: INFO-MI1--$UDEL.ED Minix Mail Address

> FROM: THOMAS KOKE
> PROCTOR COORDINATOR
> COMPUTER RESOURCES -- MICRO LAB SUPPORT GROUP
> Subject: Minix and Dos

> I'm still waiting for my Minix 1.5.xx but in the meantime I have a
> question for everyone.  Is it possible for MINIX to co-habit on
> a DOS formatted drive?  I only have a puny little 30 MB RLL
> drive and it would be a real drag to have to back-it-up and
> format it for MINIX instead.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

  You mean reformat the WHOLE thing for Minix? Try partitioning the
drive to say, oh 10-meg for Minix, rest for DOS. Up to you....

-e.b

  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |         "nobody knows."

dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) (01/15/91)

In <1153@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>KKET7663%BCIT.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>> I'm still waiting for my Minix 1.5.xx but in the meantime I have a
>> question for everyone.  Is it possible for MINIX to co-habit on
>> a DOS formatted drive?  I only have a puny little 30 MB RLL
>> drive and it would be a real drag to have to back-it-up and
>> format it for MINIX instead.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

>  You mean reformat the WHOLE thing for Minix? Try partitioning the
>drive to say, oh 10-meg for Minix, rest for DOS. Up to you....

I don't have Minix yet, but I've ordered the demo diskette.  I was wondering
about the usefulness/feasibility of having Minix and DOS in the same partition.
For example, would it be useful to have a DOS program create a large (say 20
MB) file in the root directory, and mark it read-only and hidden.  Then,
some modification to MINIX's file system would have it allocate and use
blocks only within the DOS file, thus respecting DOS's files.  In other words,
the DOS file acts as a virtual disk drive.  I see some advantages to this:

1 - The file could be backed up with normal DOS backup utilities, or UNIX
    ones, whichever you prefer.

2 - By creating several of these virtual disks, you could easily have "daily
    use" and "test environment" file systems for MINIX.

3 - The creation and deletion of DOS files is much less of a pain than
    repartitioning a hard drive.

Some disadvantages:

1 - Additional complexity for MINIX file system, possibly poorer performance.

2 - Reduced portability

3 - It's against the whole spirit of disk partitions.

4 - DOS files are limited to 32 MB

Any comments?

--
David Skoll.

windy@andrej.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Andrew John Stuart Miller) (01/18/91)

dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) writes:

>In <1153@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>I don't have Minix yet, but I've ordered the demo diskette.  I was wondering
>about the usefulness/feasibility of having Minix and DOS in the same partition.
>For example, would it be useful to have a DOS program create a large (say 20
>MB) file in the root directory, and mark it read-only and hidden.  Then,
>some modification to MINIX's file system would have it allocate and use
>blocks only within the DOS file, thus respecting DOS's files.  In other words,
>the DOS file acts as a virtual disk drive.  I see some advantages to this:

I don't!

>Some disadvantages:
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.

>Any comments?

>--
>David Skoll.

Minix has a dosread utility, so that you can read, write or directory
any dos disk (hard or floppy). I use this to transfer files from my place
of work (Unix and DOS) to my home machine (Minix) and back.

If you know Unix, you won't want dos any more, after trying minix!

Andrew Miller
email: windy@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
snail: Ruetscherstr 165  D-5100 Aachen
voice: 0049 (0)241 894-355