[comp.os.minix] Problems with 1.5

TXH2529%TEX1@leav-emh.army.mil (01/16/91)

From: Gorrell P. Cheek
Subject: Problems with 1.5

Minixers,

I just got Minix 1.5 from PH. I am having a few minor problems.

1. When I am in Elvis editing a file, out of the blue I get "Alarm Clock"
printed on the screen and the whole system locks up. I have to reboot to
recover. Anybody ever had or seen a similar problem?

2. Minix 1.5 does not support EDSI drives. Has anyone out there written a
driver for an EDSI HD or is anyone in the process of or interested in writing
an EDSI driver for Minix?

BTW, I am running 1.5 on an IBM clone.

can post it here.

Thanks in advance!

Gorrell P. Cheek
TXH2529%TEX1@leav-emh.army.mil
COMM: (817) 288-1714/9288
AV: 738-1714/9288

lucio@proxima.UUCP (Lucio de Re) (01/18/91)

In article <41854@nigel.ee.udel.edu> TXH2529%TEX1@leav-emh.army.mil writes:
>From: Gorrell P. Cheek
>Subject: Problems with 1.5
>
>1. When I am in Elvis editing a file, out of the blue I get "Alarm Clock"
>printed on the screen and the whole system locks up. I have to reboot to
>recover. Anybody ever had or seen a similar problem?

Yes, I have the same problem, and no idea where it originates. I'd like
to know how to fix it, but in the meantime I have a suggestion for you:

When it happens type (blindly)
		stty default^J
where the ^J is control-J or Line Feed. The elvis crash leaves the TTY
in raw mode and you must reset it by entering the above command.

You MUST type the above command accurately because ERASE, KILL and other
control characters do not work.

Lucio de Re, lucio@proxima.UUCP or ...!uunet!ddsw1!proxima!lucio

vp@cuisun.unige.ch (Vassilis Prevelakis) (01/21/91)

In article <2058@proxima.UUCP> lucio@proxima.UUCP (Lucio de Re) writes:
>In article <41854@nigel.ee.udel.edu> TXH2529%TEX1@leav-emh.army.mil writes:
>>From: Gorrell P. Cheek
>>Subject: Problems with 1.5
>>
>>1. When I am in Elvis editing a file, out of the blue I get "Alarm Clock"
>>printed on the screen and the whole system locks up. I have to reboot to
>>recover. Anybody ever had or seen a similar problem?
>
>Yes, I have the same problem, and no idea where it originates. I'd like
>to know how to fix it [...]

I have also had this problem, and I think I have tracked the reason:
One key on my keyboard is generating a NULL.  Minix programs get VERY
upset with NULLs, the shell logs you out and elvis crashes with that
weird "Alarm Clock" message.

I fixed the problem by redefining the keyboard so that that key generates
something useful.

**vp

email:	vp@cui.unige.ch		| Vasilis Prevelakis
uucp:	...!mcsun!cui!vp	| Centre Universitaire d'Informatique (CUI)
Phone:	+41 (22) 787 65 86	| 12 Rue du Lac,
Fax:	+41 (22) 735 39 05	| Geneva, Switzerland CH-1207

Iconoclast: person who hates the Macintosh OS.